Sagging upper eyelid? (photos)

I am 31 and my upper eyelid on both eyes has been bothering me for years. They just seem to really droop more than they should. I often times feel like I look as if I'm sleepy. Is it too early to consider surgery or is it necessary at all?

sagging upper eyelids

From the very one limited photograph, it appears that there is ptosis present.  Depending upon the degree of that, it may be wise to go ahead and have it repaired at this age.    Look for a very experienced oculoplastic surgeon for best results.

Mild ptosis

Hi. Greetings from the UK! Yes I'd completely agree with Dr Martin. You have a mild ptosis which is slightly worse on YOUR left eyelid. If it's bothering you enough that it's a major cosmetic or functional problem then ptosis correction surgery would be of benefit. In the UK, ptosis correction surgery is almost exclusively performed by oculoplastic surgeons. Best wishes David

David Cheung, MBChB, Bsc(Hons), FRCOphth
Birmingham Oculoplastic Surgeon

Ptosis

You have ptosis of the upper lids.  This can be fixed surgically.  See an oculoplastic surgeon who can evaluate your eyelid muscles to determine what surgery would be best for you. 

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Sagging upper eyelid?

Thank you for your question.  Based on your photo, it does appear that you have sagging upper eyelids.  This can be corrected with upper eyelid surgery, usually under local anesthesia.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Age for eyelid surgery

Age is not a factor in eyelid surgery. It is whether or not surgery can achieve the change you desire. I had my upper lids done at age 39 and wish I had done it sooner. MANY years later, they still look better than then.You should have an in-person consultation in order to specifically define what change(s) you desire and what your options are to improve things.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD