Would you have recommended tear drop or rounds for my breasts? (photos)

I had breast aug w/ a left donut lift 6 mo ago w little progress. I've been told to correct I need another lift in both breasts. I've had discomfort in my breasts(more soreness). A 2nd opinion told me they would have rec rounds over the tear drop. In my own research it seems rounds would have given me the more natural look w natural fold. I'm afraid a lift alone will not give me the natural look/fold & will still give me discomfort. Is 7 mo too soon to switch out implants should I choose?

Would you have recommended tear drop or rounds for my breasts?

These days there are a variety of breast implants available; the variety of breast implant available raise a lot of questions from women considering breast augmentation surgery. Personally, I think that for most patients considering breast augmentation surgery, careful selection of plastic surgeon and careful communication of goals, far outweigh the specific type of breast implant utilized (when it comes to the success of breast augmentation or revisionary breast surgery).

Anatomical breast implants were designed to better simulate the natural breast shape; the problem with these implants is that if they shift or rotate, the entire breast will change shape as well. This change in breast shape may require further surgery to correct. Round implants, under the hand, can shift or rotate without changing the shape of the breasts. Overall, I find that beautiful outcomes can be achieved with the use of round saline or silicone gel breast implants for the vast majority of patients.

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering revisionary breast augmentation surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “very natural” or "C or D cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to revisionary breast augmentation surgery) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with. 

I don't recommend a teardrop implant for anyone except someone who has undergone a mastectomy. Many studies have demonstrated that there is no advantage and actually the round implants look better in different positions. Also, if teardrop implants rotate, they will cause a deformity, as you can imagine.

From viewing your photograph, it appears that your implants were placed too high or possibly not enough of the pectoralis muscle was severed in the lower inner part of the breast. This will make implants ride higher.

To determine if you need another uplift, measurements would have to be taken, and this would require a personal examination. A rough guide is if the nipple is below your inframammary crease, you need a lift.

Thank you for your photograph and your interesting question, and I wish you the best of luck.

Breast augmentation

Thank you for your question and pictures.  I think that  you were the perfect candidate for the Tear drop implants.  That said, it looks like either they were placed too high, they never settled into place (which they usually don't settle too much) or they flipped upside down.  In either case, I think that they can be revised at this time and placed into a better location to give you a very nice and natural result.

Ramiro Morales, Jr., MD
Pembroke Pines Plastic Surgeon

Another lft?

Thanks for posting.  Sorry to hear of your situation.  Another lift is NOT the solution to your problem, and I would question the judgement/experience of an plastic surgeon who recommended that.  You have either significant early capsular contracture (less likely) or inadequate release of the pec muscle to allow the implant to "settle" to a better/proper position.  The situation can be corrected with a short secondary surgery that has nothing to do with lifting.   Your revision breast specialist should be able to show you pictures of exactly this type correction.  Good luck

What is best for my shape

thanks for the question.  Without seeing you for a full examination please be aware that any opinion may be inaccurate and should not be completely believed.  Having said this, however, I notice that your left breast has a lower position for the areola than the right side, and I do believe that a very limited left areolar crescent lift might be recommended to equalize the position of the areolar.  I use textured, teardrop implants a great deal in  my practice and feel that there can be some definite benefit for you in considering this style.  You may want to discuss this with your Plastic Surgeon to get another perspective on this before you would make a change, however.

Good luck to you.

Frank Rieger M.D.  Tampa Plastic Surgeon

Revision BA with or without lift

You have the appearance of the breast falling off the implant OR the implant pocket was never dissected correctly and your implants stayed too hi on your chest(difficult to figure out which one without a physical exam). At this point a lift with new round implant would work, as would a shaped implant. A proper physical exam and conversation about your desired goals would help determine this. 

Pain and un natural appearance

Dear Cin

Sorry for you. Different surgeons have different experience and opinions.

This mans opinion: your present appearance is typical for implants that have given you way too much fullness of the upper chest and the breast is "falling off" the lower nipple areola complex where you needed the lift/fullness.

Now what? My opinion is that another lift is not the solution. In my experience, the properly selected and placed style 410 gummy bear would have given you cleavage and lift without the fake upper bulge. 

You will have to decide who you trust. It is best to not make the same mistake twice.

Richard Sadove, MD
Gainesville Plastic Surgeon