Asymmetric bridge and nose tip? (photos)

I am 9 days rhinoplasty post-op and am noticing that my right nostril is visibly smaller than the left and the bridge of my nose swooping to the left as week. It's as if my right nostril is collapsed inwards. While I am aware that it is still very early on and patience is required in order to see the end results, I would like some reassurance that this asymmetry is most likely transient and can subside as time passes. Am very apprehensive about contacting my surgeon at this point. Please help!

Asymmetry post rhinoplasty

As you noted in your explanation, it is too early to draw many conclusions as to the success of your surgery.  All concerns should be raised to your surgeon sooner rather than later as his or her answers can likely spare you a considerable amount of time worrying about your nose.  I would also add that while cell phones, and their photo taking ability, are wonderful they can have unintended consequences.  Poor lighting and odd angles often make for bad photos.  Best to have your surgeon carefully examine your nose in person to allay your concerns.

West Palm Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon

Early post op

Thank you very much for enquire.

It's too early to make value judgments with only nine days after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-  

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Asymmetric bridge and nasal tip

9 days is very early to assess the nose. There is swelling throughout and this sometimes presents itself as asymmetries within the nasal tip. Make sure you are following up with your rhinoplasty surgeon so they can monitor your nose for any changes and address any of your concerns along the way. Best of luck. 

Michael T. Somenek, MD
Washington DC Facial Plastic Surgeon

9 days postop

You are very early in the healing process. Give it more time and discuss this with your surgeon as well. A short dose of steroids can help reduce the swelling faster, cut down salt intake and avoid exercise and sun.

Dr. J

Tanveer Janjua, MD
Bedminster Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.

You should not feel apprehensive about talking to your surgeon, It is important to contact your surgeon with any questions or concerns you may have because they are your best resource and know your anatomy and surgery best. You are still very early in your recovery period and your appearance will continue to refine.  It may take up to a year for all swelling to resolve and for your nasal appearance to settle to a final outcome. Your doctor may prescribe you a Medrol dose pack (steroid) to help reduce the swelling. Healing is often unpredictable and one side my heal quicker than the other and sometimes even nasal bones may shift in healing.  The outcomes may not be as expected.  In some cases a revision may be recommended to refine your outcomes, but I would wait at least 12-18 months so you are fully healed before considering a revision. 
Best of luck in your recovery!

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon