Micro-liposuction for Area Around Mouth Due to Fat Grafting Problem?

I am in my 30s. I had fat grafting to my cheeks. It now looks more jowl-like and is weighting down my lower face. She also put fat in one of my dimples near my mouth and now I have a pouch of fat here. I am very distressed at my appearance which makes me looks older and weird. I am thinking about having surgery done to correct other issues and I know I could have this addressed then, but I have to wait a while for that, and I can't stand this horrible pocket near my mouth. Can this be done alone?

Doctor Answers 4

Pouch after fat injections

This very question had just been posed on RealSelf.com.  Microliposuction and possible steroid injections may help but both have potential side effects. Speak to your doctor so you understand the risks of either treatment.

Manhattan Dermatologic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 37 reviews

Fat transfer

Dear jcutter,

Your options for removing fat include steroid injections, micro liposuction, and direct excision.  In my practice, I start with a low dose steroid injection to see if the tissue atrophies (shrinks) and you get the results without another procedure.


Nima Shemirani

Nima Shemirani, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 74 reviews

Contour Problem Secondary to Fat Injections

Liposuction with a small needle, similar to what was used to harvest the fat, is probably your best choice to remove the excess. As Dr. Verret said, steroid injections may help, but I find this approach less predictable.

Richard W. Fleming, MD
Beverly Hills Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 38 reviews

Fat Transfer Revisions

Fat revision can most certainly be done as a stand alone procedure. There are several options depending on numerous factors but you can try steroid injections to atrophy the fat or microliposuction to remove some of the fat.

D.J. Verret, MD
Dallas Facial Plastic Surgeon
3.9 out of 5 stars 14 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.