Follow-Up Question: Poly Beak or Inverted V Deformity? Please help!

I'm 18 days post op open revision rhinoseptoplasty and I'm seriously worried that I have poly beak or inverted v deformity yet again! The tip was the part I hated the most prior to revision surgery, and it seems like it's healing back to look exactly the same! If you want to see pre-op pics of my nose, I have another question posted with more photos. Thanks for any help and advice! What should I say to my surgeon when I go in for a follow up?

Polybeak or inverted V deformity

You have undergone an open revision rhinoplasty and it takes time for the tip swelling to subside, even months in many cases.  Preop pictures would be helpful but I do not see anything of concern at 18 days. Your anticipation of  correction in this secondary surgery should not prompt you to be impatient and worry about things you have read or seen in photos.  Sometimes swelling can be unpredictable but all looks smooth at this time.  We do not know the degree of correction attempted nor the photo rendition of  the degree of correction.  Rely on your surgeon to get you through this period. 

Persistent deformity after Revision Rhinoplasty

Thank you for your question.  Honestly, 18 days is very early to judge regarding a polly beak deformity or an inverted V deformity.  The reason for this is the fluid channels in the nose are recreating themselves and this takes place over the first 3-10 weeks.  While they are forming, fluid backs up in different areas making the nose swollen in certain areas.  It is very common to feel as if you have a polly beak deformity immediately after revision rhinoplasty.  Share these concerns with your surgeon, have him make note of it, and revisit these concerns over the next year as the swelling subsides.  Some surgeons may offer a steroid injection in the tip to lower the scar tissue that sometimes forms in a revision but the best time to do this is dependent on your surgeon.  Hope this helps!!

Mike Majmundar, MD
Atlanta Facial Plastic Surgeon