Where will my tuck scar placement be and why? (photo)

Told my scar will be high because my belly button is higher up. Any thoughts and why. Thanks

The main scar should be low

It's hard to tell how much extra skin you have (doesn't look like much).  With a traditional tummy tuck, the incision is usually place about an inch down in to your pubic hair and the hope is to remove everything from there up to above your belly button.  I really doubt that will happen with you.  The result in you would be a small vertical scar in your low belly where your belly button used to be.  There are other options.  You can "float" the belly button down or do only a mini-tummy tuck.  I suggest you get another opinion, and maybe a third before you do anything. Good luck!

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Where will my tuck scar placement be and why?

The tummy tuck scar should always be low.  Some plastic surgeons will take out more skin than others.  Some will utilize a small vertical scar in cases of excess tension.
Beverly Hills, CA

Where could my scar be?

Hello and thank you for your question.  I have a number of comments to make. I cannot tell where your scar will be other than to state that a high scar is not acceptable in my practice as I don't think it looks good. This is especially so in your,case as you have a nice figure to start with and may very well want to wear a bikini. Although I very rarely perform mini tummy tucks from what I can see from the one photo provided, you may well get a good result from it. Off course an examination may tell me otherwise.  You definitely can place the scar nice and low with a mini tummy tuck. Let's say you do need a full tummy tuck.  The way you get a low scar is to compromise slightly and leave a short low vertical scar just above the pubis in the midline. This scar is there secondary to closing the belly button incision when the upper horizontal incision is made below your belly button. (Because of a high belly button and not a lot of loose skin above.Discuss these options with your ps.Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

You should probably NOT have a tummy tuck.

With the appearance in your photograph, I cannot see why you are asking about a tummy tuck, or who might be recommending one. It does not appear as if you have enough loose skin for abdominoplasty, and yet without examination, it is indeed impossible to tell.

Yet, your consultant has already told you that a vertical scar or high incision might be "necessary." This, of course, depends upon you proceeding with an operation that has little potential for benefit (except for the doctor collecting your $$$).

I recommend no surgery, at least until you have been examined by at least three ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who agree on a plan. Just say NO. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck

tough to tell from the one picture. are you sure that you need a full tummy tuck. how much extra skin do you have. a mini may be a possibility

Jonathan Saunders, MD
Newark Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck Scar Placement

In general, tummy tuck scars are placed as low as possible.  The exact placement though may vary from one patient to another, depending on the degree of skin excess.

Arnold S. Breitbart, MD, FACS
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

#bellybutton #mini #tummytuck

I would really have to see you in order to give you an accurate idea. However, it appears from your photo that you do not have much excess skin. My guess from the angle of the photo is that you may have some protrusion of the abdomen indicating the possibility of abdominal wall weakness. If that is the case, you may be a candidate for a mini #abdominoplasty which will have a low, short scar. I would recommend a second opinion.

Jack Peterson, MD
Topeka Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. Depending on the type of tummy tuck and amount of skin laxity present will help determine the position of the horizontal skin incision.  In those patients that have less skin to be removed but want to avoid the possibility of a vertical scar the horizontal incision needs to be placed higher on their hips or pelvic region.  In most cases, however, the scar is placed along the upper pelvic region or lower abdomen and curved gently to the lower portion of the hips.  In your case you do not appear to have enough skin to warrant a tummy tuck scar and I would not advise surgery.  Best wishes.

Scar placement

There are may different techniques to utilize to keep the scar low.  I would consider some second consultations from different plastic surgeons.  You may be a candidate for an umbilical float procedure in order to keep the scar low.  Best wishes. 

Jules Walters, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck

Thank you for submitting your question. Without seeing you in person for an evaluation of your situation I cannot give you a direct answer however, it is ideal to keep the scar low so that it is easily hidden under a bathing suit.
All the best,Dr. Mentz

Henry Mentz, MD, FACS