Seborrheic dermatitis: no improvement with the itching or shedding.

I went to the dermatologist for hair shedding and scalp itching and she said I have sebarratic dermatitis. She gave me ketaconazole shampoo(once a day) and clobetasol solution(once a day) it has been a week now and I don't think there's been any improvement with the itching or shedding. How long should it take for it to work?

Understanding Hair loss and hair loss treatment options: hair transplant, prp and progesterone

This is difficult to answer without an in-person evaluation. There are great non-invasive options like prp/progesterone and/or hair transplantation. See an expert. Best, Dr. Emer

I have personal experience with this

I am a physician who has seborrheic dermatitis as well as have treated many with the condition.  I agree with the many posts that suggest it should be resolving by now, if not slowly at least.  Mine dissipates in a little as 24 hours with the application of Triamcinolone ointment.  I agree with recommendation that you should see your physician again, or seek a second opinion.  A strong steroid would fix seborrhea.  Best of luck, Dr. G

Stephen Giordano, DO
Huntersville Physician

Hair shedding and scalp itching

You should start to notice some improvement at this point. I would follow up with your dermatologist to try a different treatment for seborrheic dermatitis and/or reassess the diagnosis. Although the most common cause of hair loss is androgenetic alopecia (or androgen-related hair loss), there are multiple "other causes" for hair loss, particularly in women. These other causes (just to name a few) include thyroid disorders, low iron or vitamin deficiencies, anemia, certain medications, autoimmune conditions (such as alopecia areata), and scarring conditions of the scalp. These are relative uncommon causes for hair loss, but the treatment varies for each of these conditions. A proper history and physical exam by a hair expert is necessary. Some blood work and possible scalp biopsy may be necessary, depending on your symptoms and exam findings. Once the actual cause of hair loss is determined, appropriate treatment can be administered.  I recommend following up with a hair expert.

Sahar Nadimi, MD
Chicago Facial Plastic Surgeon

Itching and shedding with seb derm

I can't say what your diagnosis is without knowing more about your story and examining your scalp up close. However, generally speaking if one has seborrheic dermatitis, the itching should disappear quickly with a very potent steroid like clobetasol. Shedding may take a bit longer but improvements by 4 weeks. See your dermatologist regularly for close follow up - especially if you going to be using a strong steroid.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist