Why do I need Rogaine to ensure my newly grafted hair will grow? Why is it possible that some of the grafts will not grow?

If I decide against using Rogaine or any type of hair growth product, what effect could that have on my grafts not producing hair? Does the quality and manner in which the grafts/bulbs/whatever they are called were inserted matter in terms of whether or not a patient should use Rogaine? I was told that I should continue to use Rogaine for at least a year, maybe even forever to maintain the growth of the transplanted hair, why would this be the case?

Rogaine for a hair transplant

There is no need for minoxidil (Rogaine) after a hair transplant. A well done hair transplant does not need help to grow. Also minoxidil does not impact donor hair at all.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Last contacted 1 day ago

Rogaine is not required to ensure your transplant hair to grow. Some doctors may recommend it so ask your doctor.

Rogaine is not required to ensure your transplant hair to grow.  Some doctors may recommend it so ask your doctor for clarification.

Jae Pak, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Last contacted 16 hours ago

Is it necessary to use Rogaine or other meds for hair transplant to grow?

Yiaiapa236,The growth of a hair transplant is not usually dependent on the use of any medical regimen. However, if you have a pattern hair loss then of course the hair in the pattern will be at risk to continue to progress thinning until the full inherited pattern is expressed. Hence, you may want to have a medical regimen to help decrease the risk of hair loss progression. If you are a woman with FPHL Ludwig III, then the medical regimen may be necessary because a small per cent of FPHL progress to Ludwig III, which can have thinning in the "permanent donor zone."Best of luck,
Bernardino A. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Last contacted 2 days ago