Propecia after FUE transplant? (Photo)

Hi, recently had a FUE done. As the doctor was drawing my hairline he said I will need to take propecia in the future. The thing is, my hairline has always been a widow peek since birth and was not there because I was losing hair but to straighten my hairline. I also told him I have curly hair so when I wet it, which I had to do before the procedure, it tends to curl and show more scalp. I've always had fine hair since birth. I'm only 21, so I really need propecia or could he have misjudged?

I am 21 years old and had a hairline transplant. Do I need Propecia?

Here is the seriousness of your question at hand. In my opinion you should have not undergone an FUE at such a young age. Furthermore, you had an FUE in your hairline. Why is this significant? It's significant because you could lose more hair behind the transplant as you get older without Propecia. The hair that was transplanted is permanent or will be for many many years. If you do have male pattern baldness, then you will lose hair behind the hairline and this will leave a ring of hair around the hairline only.

No one knows how much baldness you will have either. SO to answer your question... He did not misjudge the fact that you MUST take Propecia/finasteride for the rest of your life or risk what I wrote above.

New Orleans Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hair loss

Keep in mind that hair loss is progressive. It is important to get on a preventative regimen. You should switch to an organic shampoo. You can also consider a natural DHT blocker like Saw Palmetto. There are also medications like Finasteride (a DHT Blocker) and Minoxidil (Rogaine) that can be very helpful in maintaining you existing hair, helping to prevent future loss and even regrow some hair. Before taking any medications you should discuss this with your general physician.

Baubac Hayatdavoudi, MD
Beverly Hills Physician

Male balding - never stops

There is one rule about male balding: it never stops once it starts. So if you have male balding it will progress. It may slow in your 60s and 70s but not completely stop. A male with balding in the 20s is likely to develop advanced balding. These are general points supported by numerous studies. Please see a physician to review how your diagnosis and how your balding is likey to progress and whether you have sufficient donor hair for hair transplantation.

Jeff Donovan, MD, PhD
Vancouver Dermatologist