What kind of certification should I look for in my plastic surgeon, specifically for rhinoplasty?

Board certification for rhinoplasty specialists

Plastic surgeons and ENT doctors primarily perform rhinoplasties, which is part of the core training.   Board certification by either the American Board of Plastic Surgery or American Board of Otolaryngology would be most appropriate.  
 In order to guarantee the most reliable medical advice, I would recommend scheduling a consultation with a board-certified plastic surgeon. Best of luck! Dr. Michael Omidi.

Board Certification for Surgeon Who Does Rhinoplasty

Your rhinoplasty surgeon should be certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery, or Otolaryngology.  Even more important is selecting an experienced surgeon who specializes in this particular operation and devotes most of their practice to rhinoplasty surgery. This is arguably the most difficult cosmetic surgery that we do; you want a natural non-surgical appearance.

Board certified surgeon for rhinoplasty

It's important to look for a board-certified facial plastic surgeon, or a board certified plastic surgeon. More importantly, is to choose a surgeon who has extensive experience with the procedure,  and has a vast array of before and after's  in the  their rhinoplasty photo gallery, and has dedicated a significant component of their practice to one of the most difficult procedures  in all of cosmetic surgery, rhinoplasty. And also important ask about touch-up rates, who is going to pay for them, open versus closed rhinoplasty, and whether there is any packing placed inside the nose. In addition, ask about who is performing the anesthesia as well.

Finding the right surgeon

Hello and thank you for your question. It is very important that you thoroughly research your surgeon before committing to surgery. It is a good idea to research your surgeon's educational background, online reviews, before & after pictures, and speak with anyone who you may know who has had surgery with that surgeon. During your consultation, make sure that you don't feel rushed and make sure that you have adequate time with your surgeon and not just their patient coordinator or nurses. If the majority of your consultation is spent with someone other than the surgeon, this is usually not a good sign. The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified expert surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

What certification is best for Rhinoplasty?

There are 3 generally speaking specialties who perform Rhinoplasty. Plastic Surgery, Facial Plastic Surgery and Otolaryngology (commonly known as Ear, Nose and Throat Surgery). However this is the bare minimum. What is in fact more important is the surgeon him/herself. Here the factors are: 1-how experienced is he/she? 2- How busy is he/she? 3- What are his/her results like? 4- What is his/her reputation? 5- Do you get along with him/her? Unfortunately it's difficult to find the answers to these questions. However to maximize the probability of getting the results you want, it's important to come to a decision.