I recently had labiaplasty via wedge method. Post op 5 weeks. Looks awful! Please help. Opinion? (photos)

I had labiaplasty 5 weeks ago via wedge method. The entire experience has been awful. I am still in pain and find walking sometimes hard to do. I know I have to wait before any revision could even be done. But what are my options. My one side completly came apart week 4. And I have followed instructions and was overly cautious. The other side is all bumpy and overall it looks terrible. Please HELLPPPP! Any advice on surgeon in Michigan ?

Post-Op Healing for Labiaplasty

Swelling after #Labiaplasty is usually present for several weeks.  It’s possible that swelling can persist for two or three months Firmness of tissue can remain for 4-6 months. Postoperative care will usually consist of sitz baths or soaking the area in warm soapy water starting approximately 2 days after a surgery.  The sutures will dissolve over the course of several weeks.  This will in part depend upon the #Labiaplasty technique used, the amount of brusing and they way in which your body heals. Ice can help reduce swelling. Arnica and Bromelain may help.  Direct massage may be useful as well. Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the #vaginalregion such as certain exercise equipment and #sexualactivity.  It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity, including sex, for approximately 4-6 weeks. Generally, patients are able to walk comfortably within a few days and can return to work within a week. If you are moving without attempts to help treat the swelling or incisions, then there may be some irritation that you can help with the methods mentioned above. If you have pain or discomfort that continues my best recommendation would be to see your surgeon in person to have your healing progression evaluated. Best of luck!

You are so swollen it is hard to evaluate. I would recommend you wait 3-6 months, let it heal completely and allow all the swelling to go down. Reassess it then and then do a revision if needed then.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN

Labiaplasty reconstruction after wedge technique

As the inventor and innovator of the wedge technique in 1994, I reconstruct many women who have had labia reductions by other surgeons, both wedge and trimming techniques. You will definitely need reconstruction.  The reconstruction technique depends on the deformity. However, no attempt to revise your labia should be done until you are at least five months after your past procedure as your appearance will improve, and the swelling will be less. You need to control your anxiety and wait. The reconstruction is more difficult than a primary labiaplasty and should be done by a plastic surgeon with extensive experience in labia reconstruction. I published the first and most extensive paper on labia reconstruction in the prestigious journal "Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery" about two years ago. You may need various reconstructive techniques to give you a good appearance, but this won't be known until all the swelling is gone. You only get one good chance to reconstruct you, so be patient and ask a lot of questions. Gary J. Alter, M.D.  Beverly Hills, CA - Manhattan, NYC

Gary J. Alter, MD

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  I am sorry to hear about your experience.  This is one of potential complications with the wedge technique.  Swelling is common after labiaplasty with the amount dependent in part based on the time since surgery.  The final result will be seen after several months, which at that time one can evaluate if a secondary surgery would be recommended.  Based on your photos, a secondary surgery will probably be necessary.  I would recommend contacting the surgeon who performed the original surgery to evaluate your current condition.  If you wish to change your surgeon or seek a second opinion, I would recommend an experienced cosmetic genital surgeon.   Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Sandusky and Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Botched labia

Thank you for sharing and I am sorry to hear of your post operative results. This is one of the most common questions I see on the RealSelf website i.e. patients upset with the results of their labiaplasty.  I disagree with most surgeon who state that you must wait 6 months as i have been performing labia revisions on botched surgery at 3-4 months post operative for years. Do not limit yourself to a surgeon in your home state as this next surgery is going to be the best chance of restoring you to as close normal as you can get. Choosing a cosmetic vaginal surgeon or any surgeon should be one of the most important decisions of your life. Failure to choose a surgeon with experience, expertise and one who achieves excellent results is not an easy find especially a surgeon who has experience with botched labiaplasties. There are a lot of surgeons who think they are experts in the field but they don’t work on vaginas daily. Some surgeon have practices that allow them to operate and perform: breast augmentations, tummy tuck, butt lifts, hair transplant and then there are surgeons who dedicate their whole practice to vaginal reconstruction and cosmetic vaginal surgery. It is obvious which surgeon has more experience, expertise and better insight as to the a patients desires of their gynecologic area.       Choose a surgeon who has great before and after pictures especially in the realm of botched labiaplasties.

What to do with your wedge labiaplasty apocalypse?

It appears that bleeding beneath the scars contributed largely to your current problems. Wedge scars are the weakest of all and it doesn't take too much pressure for them to blow apart. Nothing can be revised until you heal completely and complete healing (for revision purposes) takes 6 months. Impatience will leave you re-botched. Make sure your revision is done by an expert in labiaplasty.

Options after a Botched Wedge Labiaplasty

I am sorry about your experience, truly!Your best option is to look for a surgeon with experience in revising botched Labiaplasty procedures whom you feel comfortable with and confident in his/her skills. Do not limit yourself by geography and you should expect to travel to get the best results.Follow-up with your surgeon as scheduled and inform her/him of your dissatisfaction. Ask if some of your expenses will be covered as you seek out a revision with someone who is more experienced . Review your initial proposal and revision policy, which you likely signed before the surgery, to see if this is even an option. Typically revisions with the original surgeon are covered within a certain timeframe, but based on what I see in the photos I would find someone else. What you experienced is a risk of this surgery so your surgeon isn't obligated to cover anything.After getting these answers I would begin your search. You have time since you'll have to wait 4-6 months after the initial procedure to have your revision. Look for someone who specializes in this and be sure to look at examples of their work by reviewing their before and after photos.See link below for additional information on Revision Labiaplasty.Best of luck,

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist