I used a flat iron on my bangs near grafts directly under the hairline 12 days post-op...how much damage could I have caused?

I tried to keep the heat away from the roots and held the brush under the hair until it cooled off before letting it touch my forehead. Now I feel like my grafts are burning, which could be psychological. Should I not do this? Do I have to be worried I have screwed everything up and just flushed my money down the toilet? Thank you for your time.

It may be "psychological" as you state. If you are concerned go back to see your doctor for an exam.

It may be "psychological" as you state.  If you are concerned go back to see your doctor for an exam.  Perhaps you can think of it this way: what is done is done (you can't undo it) and you will see the results in the coming months.

Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Hot Irons after surgery

Hot irons can potentially damage hair is they are not used properly. IF you kept them away from the transplanted grafts, I doubt you damaged them. If you are concerned, go back to your doctor

William Rassman, MD
Los Angeles Hair Restoration Surgeon

Thank you for the post. 12 days post procedure, you should be fine and the chances of you causing any damage to your grafts are minimal to zero, especially if you didn't burn your skin. But moving forward, proceed with extra care and avoid any unnecessary heat to the area transplanted. Hope this helps. 

Matt Tahsini, MD
Pasadena Hair Restoration Surgeon

Using flat iron on bangs 12 days after TP

Yiayiapa236,If you did not burn yourself with the flat iron, most likely you have not hurt the TP. But why take a chance? We recommend using care not to expose the grafts to prolonged Sun for 4 months, the same goes for excessive heat. If you think that you damaged your scalp, it is easiest to go back to the surgeon that you trusted to perform your surgery. Hope this helps, and best of luck!
Sincerely,
B. Arocha, MD

Bernardino Arocha, MD
Houston Hair Restoration Surgeon

Heat and follicles

It would be best for you to see your surgeon if you are concerned that you may have damaged your grafts with the flat iron heat.  Or resubmit question with a photo.

Parsa Mohebi, MD
Beverly Hills Hair Restoration Surgeon