I had a breast reduction and liposuction of the back and bra rolls 8/18/16. I have lower back numbness and pain. Is this normal?

When can I expect my sensation to return to normal? Its difficult to sleep or rest with the pain/numbness.The pain in my lower back is most severe when I change positions/sit/lay down.

Liposuction and breast reduction - now have lower back numbness and pain

Thank you for asking about your breast reduction and back liposuction.
  • I am sorry your recovery is so hard.
  • Yes, the numbness and pain are normal.
  • Your surgery was twelve days ago - you are still swollen.
  • You will not be able to comfortably lie on your back for several more weeks.
  • The pain in changing position is from muscle spasm.
  • Ask your surgeon for instructions on stretching out your back muscles -¬†
  • And keep pressure off the area as much as possible.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Numbness after surgery

Some numbness may be related to swelling and local trauma from the liposuction. Often with time as the swelling comes down the sensation improves.