Can eye socket trauma like this be corrected? (Photo)

I had trauma to the bones under my left eye about 7 years ago. Now my left eye is very out of place, both sunk in and lower than my right eye. It seems to be getting worse over time. Can this be corrected?

Doctor Answers 6

Orbital Reconstruction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
The first step is to get a 3D CT scan of the orbits to evaluate the bony differences between the two sides. With this information your treatment options can be determined.

Eye issue

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
You would have to be seen in person and would likely need a CT to evaluate the bones. Best of luck..

Eye socket trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Photo not good.  There are likely surgical and nonsurgical options available to improve eye socket and/or surrounding structures. See an oculoplastic specialist.

Sunken in eyes

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Hi YouieYour photo did not come through.  From your description it sounds as though you had injury to your orbital floor and are left with enophthalmos (sunken in eye).  You might also have globe dystopia (eye is lower than the other one).   This would best be evaluated by a qualified oculoplastic surgeon.  If this is your issue then it is usually addressed with surgery pperformed on the orbital floor by placing an implant to push the eye up and forward.  Thank youDr. Schwarcz

Periorbital trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}
Most trauma can be improved cosmetically especially if addressed soon after the trauma. There is no photo of the deformity posted for evaluation. I would suggest that you consult the facial plastic surgeon in your area for a consultation.

Edwin Ishoo, MD
Cambridge Facial Plastic Surgeon

Correcting asymmetry after trauma

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Unfortunately your picture didn't come through in your message.  However it sounds like you may have sustained a facial fracture at the time of injury that healed out of place (malunion).  To fix this you may require a surgery to correct the placement of the bones. This should be done my an experienced plastic surgeon that specializes in cranfiofacial surgery as it is quite specialized and can be very extensive.   Best of luck.

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.