Should I be concerned? Do I need to contact my surgeon about this? Is this part of the swelling?

Hi. I had rhinoplasty done 3 weeks ago. I noticed there was extra meat in my right nostril. When I was cleaning my nose with a q-tip I noticed something wasn't coming out. Then I realized it's extra meat inside my nostril. I can see it clearly when I look in the mirror and tilt my head up. I would add photos but it's very hard to see.

"Extra 'meat' in nostril."

This is actually fairly common. The fact that you see it only on one side is what concerns you, for if this was present in both nostrils, you would not be as concerned, right? This is simply asymmetric swelling beneath the internal flap above your incisions (just inside each nostril rim). These incisions are commonly left open (or closed with only a single stitch or two) to allow any bleeding beneath your tissue flaps to drain out, but when a bit of blood/swelling pushes against the lateral crus of your alar cartilages, the mucosa-covered cartilage bulges inside your nostril.

For now you should neither be worried about this (simply more swelling on that side than the other, pushing inside that nostril more), nor should you mess with this via Q-tip!

(And, BTW, it's not "meat" that you see, it's simply a clot of blood or swelling--pushing out your mucosa and cartilage--that will eventually be reabsorbed and/or form some scar tissue. So the more you fuss with it, the worse it could stick out permanently.)

Ask your surgeon the next time you see him or her, but don't make a special trip or continue to "clean" your nose. Let things heal, please. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks and the nose is still swollen

Hello and thank you for the question. I would contact your surgeon and have him/her try to explain what is happening. Most of the time this is normal post op swelling and takes time to go down. Other times something else is going on and needs to be examined. Good luck to you.

Giancarlo Zuliani, MD
Rochester Facial Plastic Surgeon

3 weeks post op, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
It's too early to make value judgments with only 3 weeks after a rhinoplasty.
Swelling after a rhinoplasty depends of the surgery complexity.
In this regard, the nasal swelling Post-op It can last from two weeks to two months.
To reduce this swelling, I recommend you perform delicates daily lymphatic drainage massage therapy over the face (around the nose) avoid sun exposure, and take pain/inflamation pills, as your surgeron precribe you.
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD