Should it be a concern that a doctor doesn't have medical malpractice insurance? Is this a red flag?

Considering surgery in Florida for a Tummy Tuck. I am researching doctors that I am interested in and noticed that some don't have medical malpractice insurance. Should this be a concern? Are there other required insurance, and medical malpractice is optional? I thought it was required for all licensed physicians.

Should it be a concern that a doctor doesn't have medical malpractice insurance? Is this a red flag

In my opinion, that is  a huge red flag. I think I would go see a board certified plastic surgeon, who carries medical malpractice insurance. You can make sure he is board certified by looking at the website form the American Board of Plastic Surgery

Should a doctor have malpractice coverage

This is an interesting question.  Because of the increased cost of malpractice insurance, some doctors in expensive states are "going bare". I believe that one of the reasons doctors do this is because then, the  patient will have to sue them and not just "the insurance company".  It is the perception that patients are less likely to sue in that situation  One of the reasons to find a board certified plastic surgeon and use them is a requirement that the doctor have hospital privileges to do what they do in a outpatient setting.  To be on the hospital staff, they  will have to  pass muster with the credentialing committee and also have proof of malpractice insurance.  If you find out that your Dr. does not have hospital staff privileges anywhere, where will he/she take care of you if you have a significant complication?  There are likely many good doctors who do the majority of their work out of outpatient surgery centers and may not have privileges at hospitals but you must consider all aspects of that situation.

David Janssen, MD, FACS
Oshkosh Plastic Surgeon

Should I be concerned?

Thanks for this question. Consider well trained highly skilled plastic surgeons who meet the standard requirements  to run a safe and effective practice. I agree with the previous answer about seeking ASPS members with impeccable records. Best, Dr. Aldo

Aldo Guerra, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question. Finding the proper surgeon is critical to the success of your tummy tuck. It is best to look on the ASPS website to find a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in body contouring procedures. Board certified plastic surgeons have the appropriate training to perform the procedures you desire. It is also imperative to have the procedure performed in a properly accredited facility. Most professional societies / organizations / hospitals require the physician to carry malpractice insurance. This provides insurance for the patient in case malpractice occurs. Hope this helps and good luck!