Can a breast augmentation be performed without scars.

Surgical Scars

Thank you for your question. Surgical scars can be minimized and treated to lighten them but they are a necessary part of surgery. I recommend that you discuss your concerns and expectations with your Plastic Surgeon. They will be able to recommend the best approach for you and likely recommend scar treatments as well.
All the best

Scars

Thank you for your question.  Anytime you make an incision on the skin there will always be a scar.  Some people heal better then other but there is always a scar.  Schedule a consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to further discuss your concerns.

Breast augmentation and scars

I have performed some breast augs through tummy tuck incision for patients that require a tummy tuck as well. Then they do  not have any scars on their breasts.

No.  A scar has to be placed somewhere to perform the dissection and insert in the implant.  The scar has to be slightly larger for a silicone implant vs a saline implant because the silicone implant has to be placed already intact while the saline implant is filled after being inserted.  Historically, implants have been placed through the crease, the areola, the armpit, and the belly button.  Very few doctors still place the implants via the belly button as this voids the warranty and is not recommended.  Saline and small silicone implants can be placed through the armpit which still leaves a scar that can be seen if you raise your arm.  Most plastic surgeons including myself, have once again begun to place most implants through the crease under the breast and at the skin areolar junction.  The scars heal very well and I haven't had any complaints.Good luck.

Shayne Webb, MD

Can a breast augmentation be performed without scars?

A breast augmentation with an implant can not performed without a scar somewhere on the body.  Typically these scars are well hidden and fade with time.  Breast augmentation utilizing fat can be done with very small scars but the size increase is more limited than with implants.

Naveen Setty, MD

Unfortunately there is no way to get a breast implant in without making some sort of scar. Scars can be small and inconspicuously located but there will always be something. Hope that helps! 

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

The only way to increase breast size without any scars is the BRAVA system which may only give a 1/2 cup size increase. Breast fat grafting leaves minimal scars and may give a full cup size increase in some case. However, most plastic surgeons can place an implant with a small incision (less than 2 inches) which is barely noticeable after 1 year. See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. No, breast augmentation surgery, utilizing breast implants, cannot be done without a scar. There are several good approaches to breast augmentation surgery; different surgeons will have their own preferences. In my practice, I prefer the inframammary or infrareolar approach for most patients.
My best suggestion: select your plastic surgeon carefully. Make sure that he/she is a board-certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve outcomes that you will be pleased with.  Best wishes.

Underarm incision

Yes, in the sense that there is no scar on your breast. The implant can be placed through the under-arm leaving no scar on the breast after surgery. Even the new cohesive gel silicone implants can be placed through the underarm using the Keller Funnel.
Dr EnnisBECA Centers

Breast augmentation without scars?

Thank you for your question. All breast augmentation surgeries require external incisions – while some scars will remain, breast augmentation patients find that the improved breast shape is well worth the tradeoff. The key is working with an expert, board certified plastic surgeon to get the best results.