Should I try to get to my ideal weight before considering breast reduction?

I'm 35, no kids, 5'8", 180 lbs, and I wear a 34H (AKA 34DDDDD or 34FF). My current size is the result of weight gain in my late 20s due to hypothyroidism and other autoimmune issues. Prior to age 28, my weight was usually between 125 and 145, but I was still a 34C until I gained significantly more weight, 200 lbs. at my heaviest. I got down to about 170 lbs. a few years ago with some change in breast size, but not enough to need a new bra. Any chance I can I get back to a C with weight loss???

Thank you for the question. Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery. It is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
The ideal situation is for you to lose weight and be stable in regards to weight prior to surgery - that will give you the best chances of long-term results you will be happy with. If you, for example, have the surgery and then lose 20 more pounds, you may need to have another surgery because there may be additional loose skin to be removed or you may be displeased with the ultimate breast size.

I hope this, and the attached link, helps.  Best wishes.

Breast reduction

I appreciate your question.
Its best to get down to your lowest weight or ideal weight 
This will allow to see your true breast size and also be safer for surgery

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative breast surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Should I lose weight before a breast reduction

Congratulations on the great job you have done on your weight-loss so far.  To be the safest candidate for breast reduction surgery and anesthesia you want your BMI to be less than 36.   If you plan on losing more weight, you probably want to get close to your goal weight before having surgery.   The reason for this is because your breast can develop a deflated appearance if you lose weight after surgery.   This being said sometimes once you've reached a plateau and are not able to lose much more weight the surgery may help you achieve your goals.   This is because frequently after surgery you will be better able to exercise and be more active.   Best of luck on your journey. 

Jonathan Amspacher, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Achieving ideal weight before breast reduction

In my opinion it is always best to try to get down to your ideal weight before any type of breast or  body contouring. Especially, if you have significant change in your breasts with weight gain or loss. Please have a evaluation from a board-certified plastic surgeon to discuss your particular concerns. 

There are a few things to consider in breast reduction surgery and weight gain, weight loss  and pregnancy can all affect the size and shape of your breast as well as the general condition of a patients skin laxity .

However if your weight has now remained stable for a considerable amount of time without affecting your breast size any further then it is certainly worth exploring breast reduction surgery. It may be that your current breast size is affecting your ability to exercise or is proving troublesome in terms of back pain and so these are also good indicators for breast reduction surgery.

It is worth considering if you plan on starting a family and wish to breast feed however this would all be discussed at any consultation with a surgeon.