I had a cleft pallet partial repair when I was younger. Would that stop me from getting juvederm lip injections?

Juvederm after cleft surgery

Dear amber5555,There is no reason you couldn't receive Juvederm injections after palate surgery. Patients whohave had previous cleft lip repair are also very good candidates for fillers to improve fullness, symmetry, and signs of aging. Be sure you see a very experienced injector, and best of luck!

Denver Plastic Surgeon

Juvaderm Lip Injections

Hi ~ Great question. You are able to have lip injections with any HA filler after cleft palate repair. This does make your injections more complex and it is important to go to an experienced injector.  Good Luck!

Michael Hromadka, MD
Kalispell Physician

Lip Augmentation with Fillers or Lip Implant or Fat -- Go Slow, Use Cannulas

you can have augmentation after you've had surgery, but I suggest posting pictures to see if you are a candidate.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Cleft lip and lip filler

I have injected many patients with a prior cleft lip to help with the symmetry of the lip. The injector must be experienced for this because there are changes to the vascularity of the lip. If too much is placed in an area that doesn't have good blood supply, the lip could get compromised and risk necrosis. See a Plastic Surgeon of Facial Plastic Surgeon for this.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Cleft Palate Repair and Juvederm

Thank you for your question. The short answer is, no, having had a prior surgical palate repair in the past should not affect your candidacy for getting lip injections. If your cleft palate also extended into your lip area (so you have a scar on your upper cutaneous - or skin - lip and the red part of the lip itself), you may have some scar tissue that could potentially make it difficult for the injector to give you the contour you desire. Your best bet is to have an in-person consultation to evaluate your options, and to make sure your goals are able to be achieved. Best of luck!