I will be 72 years old next month. Am I too old for a panni or tummy tuck?

72 years and the tummy tuck

Good Morning:
We would have to make your medical history, as it all depends on your health, if you are an active person, if you have diseases. If your general health conditions if you could do it.

Mexico Plastic Surgeon

Am I too old for a panni or tummy tuck?

Thank you for the question. Your age is absolutely not a contraindication to tummy tuck surgery; assuming you are in good health and a good candidate for the procedure you may have an excellent outcome with the procedure. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

Hopefully, your only regret will be not having had it done earlier in life. You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes.

Too old for a tummy tuck?

When determining if a patient is appropriate for a tummy tuck, the patient's medical age is much more pertinent than their chronologic age. If you have numerous medical problems, you may not be appropriate even at a younger age. However, I would not let your age of 72 years old deter you from seeking out a plastic surgeon for consultation. Best wishes.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is 72 years old too old for a Tummy Tuck?

To answer your question "No." Being 72 years old is not too old to have a Tummy Tuck. The big question would be your health. As long as you are healthy and do not have any medical conditions having the tummy tuck would be acceptable. Your surgeon and anesthesiologist may require a Medical Clearance letter from your Primary Care Doctor as well as some blood work, EKG, and CXR. Your medical health history will determine if any other tests are needed. I suggest consulting with a board certified plastic surgeon and also discussing your plans with your Primary Care Doctor.

Is 72 Too Old For a Tummy Tuck?

I have patients in their 70's that have had a tummy tuck and did very well. The question isn't really age but the health of the patient. Be sure to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, better yet 2 or 3, for an evaluation. Then choose who you feel most comfortable with. Good luck.

Miguel Delgado, MD

They are two different procedures, the panniculectomy is a much lower risk surgery. But to answer your question, you are not too old if you are in good health. I would however think twice about any major muscle tightening at your age as that significantly prolongs healing and adds risk.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

72 years old next month. Am I too old for a panni or tummy tuck?

Your age is not necessarily a contraindication to having a tummy tuck or panniculectomy. There are a number of factors that are more important: Your general health, prior medical history, individual anatomy, realistic expectations, and a full understanding of the benefits as well as the potential problems that can occur with the procedure.

I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person. If you decide to undergo the procedure, I would suggest a medical clearance from your primary physician before proceeding with a tummy tuck or panniculectomy .

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Does age matter for elective cosmetic surgery?

Well, yes and no.  More important than age is the health of a patient.  You may be 21 years old and have health issues that would prevent elective cosmetic surgery.  On the other hand, you could be a healthy 72 year old and fly through a surgical procedure.  Of course, as we age we develop more health issues, so it is more likely that a senior citizen might have more issues.  Please visit with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your desires, he/she will let you know if you are healthy enough to tolerate the procedure.

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon