14 months post-op from my tummy tuck, & about 6 weeks out from scar revision; dissolvable stitches still a problem? (Photos)
7 months ago
I have my TT 14m ago. Due to dissolable stitches not dissolving I had to get a scar revision. b4 my revision I had 3 marble sized balls of scar tissue built up around the stitches that never dissolved. It was constantly inflamed, painful & very lumpy. My ps had to cut it all out, he used dissolvable stitches again, now it's like deja vu, its turning purple & I can feel hard scar tissue forming again. How can I help dissolve them? Ps keeps sayin wait, but I know my body and know this isn't right
Doctor Answers 2
Scar problem after revision
Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck revision.
- One of two things is happening -
- Your body doesn't tolerate the internal sutures and your surgeon needs to find and remove them.
- Or you have ingrowing hairs causing the problem -
- This can look very like a suture problem and often the hair is hard to see.
- Either the suture or the ingrowing hairs have to be removed for these to heal.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS
Your body does appear that it is not reacting well to those stitches. In my clients I some times go in and excise those in the office setting under local anesthesia. I would revisit the issue with your surgeon.
These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as
a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you
have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute
or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.