Do I have an infection after labia reduction?

Almost 3 weeks after labia reduction in am having a white and clear discharge. My doctor said he didn't see an infection but gave me antibiotics as a precaution. I feel slight on and off discomfort at top but no fever or real pain. I use a where bottle after urination. Some on and off swelling. Do I need to worry

Labiaplasty: Infections

Thank you for your question.  It is challenging to evaluate for an infection without photographs.  I would recommend continuing the recommended course of care by your surgeon.  If you believe that you are not improving, then seek the opinion of another surgeon or your primary care provider.  Best of luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Cleveland Urologist

Post-Op Infection

The specific risks and suitability of these procedures for each individual can be determined only at the time of consultation.  All surgical procedures have some degree of risk.  Minor complications that do not affect the outcome occur occasionally.  Major complications are rare. These can include infection, bleeding, (hematoma) , separation of the incision, changes in sensation , pain, increased sensitivity, unsatisfactory cosmetic results.  Any concerns of infection, new pain, swelling, bleeding , drainage should immediately be addressed by the doctor. Best of luck and make sure you get in to see your surgeon ASAP.

Vaginal discharge after labiaplasty

Usually clear  or thin white discharge without odor or itching is normal vaginal discharge.   I assume you were given antibiotics to take post operatively to prevent infection at the surgical site. It is possible that the antibiotics could have triggered a "yeast" vaginal infection, which could be treated with oral fluconazole, one tablet or two tablets, 3 days apart.   The normal bioflora of the vagina can be disrupted by antibiotics, so eating yogurt with live cultures or taking a probiotic supplement with lactobacillus can help restore the ecosystem of the vagina.   See a  gynecologist for evaluation if the discharge persists, is irritating, or has an odor.Best wishes!

Do I have an infection?

Your description of the discharge sounds like the normal discharge that can be seen as wounds heal.   Of course the best person to assess this is your surgeon, who has already evaluated you and does not feel that you have an infection. It is not uncommon to develop a yeast infection which can also contribute to the whitish discharge.  A single Diflucan pill can usually cure this. Trust your surgeon and follow his or her recommendations. Best wishes to you!

Erik Miles, MD, FACS
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Without seeing photos or knowing where the discharge is coming from, it is hard to determine whether you have an infection.  If it was felt at your last visit with your surgeon that you did not have an infection but you are presenting with new symptoms, you should return for reevaluation.  Swelling and discomfort is common after this procedure and can last for weeks to months.  It is important to keep in mind that you are still early in the post operative period and that it will take some time to appreciate the final results from your procedure.

Do I have an infection 3 weeks after labiaplasty??

Hi,Impossible to specifically guide you without an exam or at least good quality photos, BUT-- the discharge you describe seems benign, normal, not infective. Infections are quite rare following LP. Followup with your surgeon. If you'll be taking antibiotics more than 3-4 days, it is a good idea to also take "probiotics" every day during antibiotic therapy and for 2 additional weeks (to prevent a yeast infection!

Michael P Goodman, MDDavis, CA, USA

Discharge After Labiaplasty

Please do NOT worry. Everything you are describing sounds like normal healing following labiaplasty surgery, especially since your surgeon has already reassured you and is obviously taking wonderful care of you.  Cheers!

Discharge after labiaplasty

Thank you for your question. Well, you did the right thing by getting a physical examination by your surgeon. He seemed to believe there were no signs of infection, but prescribed you some antibiotics as a precaution. White and clear discharge could simply be your natural vaginal discharge your vagina produces to clean itself out. I would just keep an eye on everything and if it gets worse or you develop signs of an infection such as fever or the area of skin is hot to touch then I would contact your surgeon immediately. 
Best of luck in your recovery!
Sincerely,

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty infections are rare

Clear and white discharge is nonspecific - it could be anything. If it's coming from the vagina and not from the scars, then it has nothing to do with your labiaplasty. Without an exam, there's no way to tell.

Trust your surgeon

Thanks for sharing.  You saw your surgeon and he told you that he didn't think there was an infection.  The surgeons here do not have the luxury of evaluating you i.e. seeing you in person therefore we must defer to the surgeon who did your surgery and who evaluated you after the surgery.  Antibiotics were most likely unnecessary but your surgeon did what he felt was appropriate to play it safe for you.  Try to relax and continue to consult your surgeon.