Is it possible to avoid capsular contracture surgical treatment?

I've developed a grade III capsular contracture on one side during year 2?. It does not bother me, not hard, doesn't look bad (symmetric niples just a little extra volume on top of one breast that can only be seen in naked profile). My Dr. Suggested to massage for 4 wks 3 x 30 seconds per day and if it doesn't work, do a surgical fix with incision under breast (original was periareolar) I would like to avoid another surgery. What would happen if I just leave it alone? Delay fix by 5-10 years?

Capsular Contracture

Yes, you could treat this with massage/supplements if you wish and put off surgery. The capsule may become worse/tighter over time but doesn't pose an emergency. It is up to you.

All the best

Early capsular contracture treatment

I agree with Dr Calibrace about Singulair. There have been some small studies that have shown the off label use of Singulair for 3 months does improve capsular contracture. In a patient such as yourself I personally have seen the contracture resolve completely about 50% of the time.  I prescribe it as if you have allergies, which is 10mg a day, for three months. 

Singulair has has a low side effect profile and I Would suggest you discuss its use with your surgeon. He may want to research it before prescribing it, but I can assure you it is well worth it. Be prepared that insurance will not automatically cover it for off label use. 

Best of luck. 

Melinda Haws, MD

Yes

If you can live with contracture you do not need surgery.  It all about your own choice. Capsules do get worse with time. However they pose no health issues other than discomfort. 

Vasdev Rai, MD

Capsular Contracture

Unfortunately, massage, antibiotics, leukotriene inhibitors, and external ultrasound do not reliably or effectively treat capsular contracture. You can wait on surgery; it is not dangerous, but it may get worse with time.  The harder or more ball like the implant, the more tissue destructive it becomes (pressure atrophy).

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Capsular contracture treatment

Agreed three capsular conAgreed three capsular contracture.  Means that you can see the contracture.  While you have a chance of developing your contractor anytime when you have implants the highest risk is in the first and second years. If you have a contracture that is grade three then you can try to massage to see if it improves but more likely you will need surgery to fix it. You only need surgery to fix it if it bothers you and is visible compared to the other breast. 

Nikesh K. Patel, MD
Freehold Plastic Surgeon

If it doesn't bother you, no need to fix it but just remember that it tends to get worse with time so eventually, you probably will need to get surgery to perform a complete capsulectomy. Hope this helps!

Capsular Contracture treatment

Sorry to hear you have a CC. Ask your surgeon about prescribing Minocycline and Singulair for 3 months to go along with massages. There are also ASPEN ultrasound treatments that are available by a handful of surgeons. You may check with your doctor and on the ASPEN website to see where the closest surgeon is to you that offers this treatment. We have had great success with this treatment in our practice. Good Luck to you.

M. Bradley Calobrace, MD, FACS