3 weeks post op from BA surgery pain. (photo)

I had saline 450cc implants for 12 years. I developed a capsular contracture in my left breast. I had 600cc silicone implants put in 3 weeks ago. I have been having a lot of pain, burning in my left breast. Most of the pain is on the outer portion of my breast. At times it feels like the implant may be catching on a nerve or vein. Is this normal?

Breast Pain

Within a few weeks after surgery it is possible to have some pain in that region, and yes it is likely because of some irritation to the nerves in that area.  It usually will go away in the next few weeks.  Be aware of the appearance of the breast, if it develops redness and swelling--that would be a sign that you need to see your surgeon.

3 weeks post op

Thanks for the question.

In my practice, after performing a BA I recommend to my patients to limit the movement of the arms for two weeks. After that, you can move your arms taking care and always with common sense.  In this regard, it's not advisable to carry heavy weights to prevent the implant out of position, and allow the formation of the physiological capsule around the implant, also to avoid pain and breast swelling.

Kind regards

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

3 weeks post op from BA surgery pain.

Thank you for your question.  Sorry to hear about your situation.

The pain you are experiencing is most likely irritation of nerve.  It could be due to the large implant your have now or can also be caused by post-surgical inflammation.  In many instances this will resolve on its own as the healing process progresses.   Make sure your surgeon is aware of the situation.   

3 weeks post op from revision breast augmentation surgery pain.

I am sorry to hear about the problem you are experiencing; although not "normal" I think that you  may have made the diagnosis yourself. Use of a larger breast implant may be placing pressure on one of the intercostal nerves. Your plastic surgeon, after physical examination will be your best resource when it comes to diagnosis and advice. Best wishes.

Breast Pain 3 weeks out from Breast Augmentation

The burning pain that you are describing sounds nerve related. It is likely due to the increase in breast implant size which causes stretching of the muscle and can either cause spasm or the nerve being stretch. Manual massage and ice can help. Sometimes nerve pain medications such as Neurontin is given to help get you through this time period. As always, if you have any concerns, you should follow up with your surgeon for a check in person. Best wishes!