Do I Have Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar? (photo)

I did tummy tuck and breast augmentation 9 months ago and ive been using gel sheet and vitamin E. Im not happy with my scars of my tummy tuck , i am scheduled 8 oct to a doctor to help me with my scar ...

Doctor Answers 3

Hypertrophic scarring around the umbilicus

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Problem scars around the umbilicus and positioning of the low transverse scar after an abdominoplasty.  The umbilical scar is really he cherry on the ice cream sundae when it comes to abdominoplasty surgery.  It is the most visible scar and most plastic surgeons are very careful to create a nice, aesthetically pleasing scar.  Everything can be done correctly and a small percentage of patients will make a bad scar.  Your scar and lateral fullness can be improved with a revision.

Atlanta Plastic Surgeon
4.5 out of 5 stars 20 reviews

Keloid or Hypertrophic Scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

I would call this a hypertrophic scar. The definitions overlap, and both are caused by overgrowth of collagen in a healing incision.

A keloid is usually defined where the scar is well beyond the expected limits of healing. An example is a marble sized lump at the site of a simple ear piercing. Your scars do not fit that particular definition. 

Definition aside, it is what it is. I am sure your surgeon will suggest a number of possibilities. You have already tried two scar remedies, and there are others. These types of scars are sometimes injected with kenalog, as steroid, and this is usually done several times over two week intervals. Excising and reclosing the scars is sometimes a last resort, because the hypertrophy can recur. 

Thanks for your question, and best wishes. 

Jourdan Gottlieb, MD
Seattle Plastic Surgeon

Slightly hypertrophic scar

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}


Thank you for the photos.  You do not have a keloid scar.  You have some hypertrophy (thickening) and hyperpigmentation (darkening) of the scars.  These can be treated with revision surgery, bleaching creams, or steroid injections.

All the best,

Dr Remus Repta

Remus Repta, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 173 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.