How Long Do I Have to Wait to Go Bigger?

I recently had my first BA (4/2/13) my PS did an amazing job and have me what I asked for but now I realize I want and should've gone bigger. How long should I wait for a revision? I healed fast and no adverse reactions. I had peri-areolar incision, submuscular, silicone 492cc's. Thank you!

Complete healing takes 3 months

Because it takes at least 3 months for complete healing then I would wait at least this long. 4-6 months would be better however. Good luck!

Provo Plastic Surgeon

When to go bigger

There are no hard and fast rules as to when you can be reoperated on.i would at least wait long enough for the sweeling to go down and the tissues are soft then you can go for it.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Wait at least 6 months before enlarging your implants.

It is reasonable to wait at least 6 months before reoperating on a breast augmentation to simply enlarge the implants. Not only does this give your breasts time to accomodate the current implants, but it gives you time to decide if going bigger is really what you want. 492cc implants are large implants. Going larger increases your risk for tissue thinning, rippling, malposition, and other stretch deformities.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Larger implants

I would recommend you wait 4-6 mo this before considering revisions. This skin will stretch and the implant will reach its "comfort zone". 

Going to a larger sized implant

I would advise just giving this some time and thought.  Your implants are very large.  Just remember time, weight and gravity are not on your side.  Going larger will definitely increase your risk of stretch deformities of the breasts.  

Going Bigger

Usually it is important to wait until your actual implants have stretched your skin and  it feels comfortable and relaxed. Depending on how much bigger you are planning on going i would recommend a 6 -12 month period . 

Best wishes 

Katherine Feliz Camilo, MD

Bigger implants

Thos sound like pretty large implants. If you are a candidate, it usually is ok after about 4-6 months or so to undergo a revision augmentation.

Larger implants more likely to cause problems

I would recommend that you wait at least 6 months before you have revision of your breast surgery. Since you did not give any information about your height, weight or pre-op bra size or show before and after photos, it is not possible for anyone on RealSelf to comment on whether it would be reasonable or wise for your to have larger implants. That said, your 492  silicone gel implants would be considered very large for many women. (incidentally, 492 cc is an odd size for a gel implant. Are you sure this is the correct volume?) I caution you about going with too large an implant. Doing so might cause long term problems that cannot be fixed and that leave you with a very poor appearance to your breasts.  

John J. Bandeian, MD
Bristol Plastic Surgeon

Four months is enough of a healing period, but be sure to carefully discuss with your surgeon the pros and cons of having such large implants. Not having photos or measurements surgeons on RealSelf will have insufficient info to even know if larger implants will fit without immediate risks, let alone the long term issues that are predictable.

All the best. 

Going bigger

Your size implant is fairly large. Even though your surgeon can place a larger implant, it is not always the best choice. Larger implants place more stress on your own tissue which may lead to quicker sagging and thinning of your tissue. Long term, your breasts may not be able to support a heavier implant. Your surgeon probably selected the size of implant that will fit your chest and be supported by your tissue. Please listen to your surgeon about selecting another size. It just may not be in your best interest to go larger. Also, each surgery carries risks--bleeding, infection, numbness, and not healing well, among other things. Please give your body time to heal.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon