I have a yeast infection during labiaplasty recovery, and my surgeon's office is closed. What should I do?

It's been exactly a week since I got labiaplasty. Yesterday Saturday I started to have bad smell and white discharge. I got a yeast infection. It's a long weekend and the office will not open until Tuesday. It's still Sunday. Also my prescribed pills cephalexin 500mg finish today. What should I do? Should I wait until Tuesday? Is there some home remedies I can do that will not affect the recovery of my labiaplasty? Or should I try to contact my sergeon asap

Contact the Surgeon's Follow-Up or Answering Service Immediately

I definitely agree with what the others here have stated. You have full access to your surgeon and his office in regards to your surgery and recovery, so there should have been some information provided to you for an answering service, or when you call the office phone number the answering service information will be provided on the outgoing message. If that is not the case then this surgeon's office is not taking very good care of your needs, and your need to go to an outside source (i.e. the hospital, your physician, gynecologist or other), would have to be brought up with them later in follow-up appointments. Best of luck to you.

Contact your surgeon.  I would be dumb founded if they do not have a person on call who can help with this situation.  You most likely do have a yeast infect and it should be addressed.Best of luck.

Questions about troubles during labiaplasty recovery should go to your surgeon, not RealSelf docs who hardly know you!!

Labiaplasty fees include full follow-up, with availability even when the office is closed. Your surgeon should have an answering service or cell phone # (s)he's given to you. If your surgeon is away, legally (s)he should have someone covering for them. It's best that someone who knows your situation evaluate you, not us here who don't know you at all...
p.s. "Prophylactic antibiotics are RARELY INDICATED for labiaplasty surgery, and if given for > 3/4 days frequently CAUSE an iatrogenic ("doctor-caused) yeast infection!

Regards,

Michael P Goodman, MD

Doctor should always be avialable

The doctor or a covering doc should always be available. Even during the 4 weeks a year that I am not in the office I always have a covering plastic surgeon. My nurse can write prescriptions as well so there is never a time when my patients are on their own. 

You should still be able to reach out to your surgeon's office and reach the on call line.  Most offices have someone available to talk to for urgent situations.

Naveen Setty, MD

Call your gynecologist if you have a yeast infection

No brainer. Any gynecologist, FP, etc can call in a prescription for a yeast infection. Be aware that it might not be a yeast infection regardless and followup with your surgeon is still needed.

I have a yeast infection during labiaplasty recovery, and my surgeon's office is closed. What should I do

Thank you for your question. Please contact your surgeon or the on call number for the practice ASAP.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery

Call the stat line

Hello Mia,

With a problem early in recovery your surgeon will want to hear about it and probably see you and treat it. It could certainly affect your healing wound. Let him or her know ASAP.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD 

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon

I have a yeast infection during labiaplasty recovery, what should I do?

Thank you for your question and I am sorry to hear of your yeast infection during recovery.  I recommend reaching out directly to your surgeon's office to inform them of this infection, as it needs definite treatment to prevent incision separation and wound dehiscence.  The best treatment is with a prescription anti-fungal.  Though it is a long holiday weekend there should be someone available at your surgeon's office to assist you.  Best wishes.