Is it worth it at my age?

I am a twenty year old and have double Ds. But i was very overweight last year, though i wasnt big chested until I lost 50 pounds amd they grew. I feel very uncomfortable because i cant wear specific clothing because my chest sags a lot and i need a lot of support. My question is is it better for a lift or a reduction? And if i get the reduction should I also get a lift? I meed more detailed information because im not sure what to do

Is it worth it at my age?

Hi and thanks for your question. Without posting photos it's difficult to give you a more accurate assessment. You don't give your height, weight or bra size. The only difference between a breast lift and a reduction is what is removed. In a lift skin is removed for the most part, whereas in a reduction skin and glandular tissue is removed. A breast reduction includes a lift.I am certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and have practiced in the"land of breast implants", Miami, for the past 29 years. I encourage you to look up the surgeon you eventually select and make sure they have years of experience in performing cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals.

In our office we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. I then evaluate them and can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Dr. PG

Is it worth it at my age?

You must understand terms ALL reductions are lifts but not all lifts are reductions in breast surgeries. Best to ask your chosen surgeon to explain in more details. Yes you need Breast Reduction.

Is breast reduction surgery worth it at my age?

Thank you for the question. Based on your description, you may be an excellent candidate for breast reduction surgery. This operation tends to be one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform. Keep in mind, that when a patient's breasts are reduced they are "automatically" lifted as well.

“Typical” patients who present for breast reduction surgery are women who have disproportionately large breasts, causing problems such as neck/back/shoulder discomfort, postural changes, bra strap grooving, skin irritation/rashes under the breasts, and/or difficulty with activities of daily living and/or exercise etc. There may be both physical as well as psychosocial “stress” caused by the disproportionately large breasts.
Reducing breast tissue mass and elevating the breasts on the chest wall tend to improve or alleviate many of the symptoms associated with the disproportionately large breasts.
Patients considering breast reduction surgery should also consider the potential downsides (risks/complications) associated with the procedure as well. Poor scarring, for example may be associated with the procedure. Additional surgery may be necessary in the short or longer term for a multitude of reasons.
When the time is right, I suggest that you seek consultation with well experienced plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. Ultimately, careful selection of your plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make.
To this end, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery. Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done.
In my practice, timing of breast reduction surgery is determined on a case-by-case basis. It is not too early to do your homework and learn as much as possible about breast reduction surgery and the potential risks and complications associated with the procedure.You may find the attached link, dedicated to breast reduction surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.

Reduction or lift? worth it at 20?

You raise several excellent questions.

First, breast lift or breast reduction? What is the difference? A breast reduction is a breast lift with removal of some of the gland to make the breast both smaller and perkier. A breast lift does not change the size of the breasts, but improves the shape and position with removal of excess skin. For both procedures the main thing is that you are trading improved shape (and in the case of reduction a smaller, less heavy breast) for scars. It would be best to be seen in consultation by a plastic surgeon so that you can discuss your personal goals and have an evaluation to determine the correct procedure for you.

As for whether it is worth it at your age, that is a question that only you can ultimately answer. However, some things to consider are: does the appearance or size of your breasts impact your ability to do physical activity or your body confidence? Do you get chronic neck and shoulder pain or tingling in your fingers? Also consider that any surgical manipulation of the breast can result in a reduction in the ability to breast feed in the future. And of course, there is always the trade off of scars. There are many things to consider and I would recommend making an appointment with a plastic surgeon so that you have all of the information you need to make the right decision for you.

Best wishes, Dr. Meghan Nadeau, Seattle, WA

Meghan Nadeau, MD

Breast lift or reduction?

Thank you for your question about your breast enlargement.

• Without an exam, one can't tell you whether you need a breast lift or reduction but -
  • If your breasts are too large, you probably need a reduction -
  • A breast lift is part of a reduction so the two are done at the same time.
  • Your plastic surgeon will examine you and advise you as to the best procedure at the time of your consultation.
Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes. Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

What's the difference between a Breast LIFT and s Breast Reduction?

This question comes up all the time. 
A Breast Reduction is a Breast Lift in which excess breast tissue is removed to make the breast smaller and less heavy. Every woman undergoing a breast reduction also gets a lift so she ends up with perkier smaller breasts. 
Min the other hand, if you are happy with the size of the breasts and just want to correct sagging, then a Breast Lift is done ( excess sagging skin is removed and the Brest is lifted with minimal loss of breasts volume). 

It it sounds like you may greatly benefit from a Breast Reduction. 

Dr. Peter A. Aldea
Memphis, TN

Breast surgery

If your breasts are quite large, a reduction is possible. A lift is performed at the same time. Best to be seen in person.

Is it worth it at my age?

Without photos, height and weight - it's impossible to answer your questions accurately. On your physical exam with your Board Certified PS- your goals and desires will be discussed as it relates to your pre-operative anatomic condition. Whether or not it's worth at your age- is a decision best made by you in conjunction with your Surgeon- it's not an easy answer to give. With a Breast Reduction your ability to breastfeed MAY be reduced. Not so much with a breast lift.