Wondering Why Some Doctors Choose Not to Use Percocet After a Tt and Lipo?

If its true and not an option what is? Can Vicodin cause water retention?

Pain meds

It makes no difference weather you have Percocet or vicodin for pain control after the surgery. I commonly use a combination of medications and the patients are essentially pain free after the procedure

Percocet, vicodin, hydrocodone, and oxycodone are all popular choices.  Water retention is not an issue with these medications.  Find a plastic surgeon with ELITE credentials who performs hundreds of tummy tucks and liposuction surgeries each year.  Then look at the plastic surgeon's website before and after photo galleries to get a sense of who can deliver the results.  Kenneth Hughes, MD Los Angeles, CA

There are many remedies to choose from, and if one were clearly better than the others, all would use the same.

I don't prescribe percocet (oxycodone plus acetomenophen) because so many patients will take a third tablet if two don't give enough pain relief, and that can be a toxic does of acetomenophen, so I write for oxycodone. 

Vicodin many feel is less effective than percocet. There are other oral pain meds, and there are long term local anesthetics that can be given by injection or indwelling catheter and pump. 

Discuss with your surgeon.,

Exparel for post-surgery pain control with tummy tuck

Each surgeon will have their own preferences as to which medications to prescribe for pain relief after surgery. A new long-lasting numbing agent called Exparel has reduced the need for narcotic pain medications so I would recommend asking about that.

Richard Baxter, MD

Pain control after cosmetic surgery

Percocet may cause severe nausea/vomiting in some patients.  Otherwise, it is an excellent pain control medicine after surgery.  Vicodin may not be as effective in controlling pain, but may have less side effects.  New options include Nucynta, a opioid receptor agonist which causes even fewer side effects, although its more expensive. 

Thank you for the question. Good pain control after tummy tuck is very important for many reasons. Besides the important concern of patient comfort, good pain control allows for better/easier deep breathing exercises and ambulation. These measures may lead to decreased incidences of pulmonary complications and/or thromboembolic phenomenon.
These days plastic surgeons have many options when it comes to pain control after tummy tuck surgery. The use of narcotic medication, muscle relaxants, non-narcotics, pain control pumps, and long-lasting local anesthetics have made the postoperative experience much better than in the past. The specific medications used will vary from one practice to another.
In our practice, all patients undergoing, tummy tuck surgery receive a postoperative pain control pump. I have yet to have a patient complain of the "hassle" factor. In my opinion, there is no demonstrable difference between the use of local anesthesia provided through a pain pump versus long lasting injectable anesthetics. There are certainly no objective studies that demonstrate the superiority of one over the other. Best wishes.

Narcotics Not Always Needed after Tummy Tuck

All narcotics like Percocet, Vicondin, Noco, Codeine have significant side effects of nause, vomiting and constipation. I recommend the use of Celebrex and Acetominophen (does not make you drowsy and less chance of nausea) plus intraoperative use of Exparel. Exparel is a very long-acting local anesthetic that lasts approximately 3 or more days following injection and great for Tummy Tucks and other surgeries. Not only does it prevent pain but also most muscle spasms. It lasts the same length of time that a pain pump lasts and will therefore take the place of a pain pump. This means patients can enjoy the same effect of a pain pump, but without any catheters and no pain pump to carry around.
Exparel will be available for those concerned about minimizing discomfort after surgeries such as tummy tuck and breast augmentation.
Exparel costs the same as a pain pump and produces the same result but with less hassle and works great.
Narcotics are used only as needed (as cause nausea, vomiting and constipation as frequent sided effects).

Pain medication after surgery.

Pain medication after cosmetic surgery is dependent upon the degree of surgery performed, the patient's own pain tolerance, and the patient's history with different pain medications. I use Percocet for pain relief in my patient's after a tummy tuck with liposuction, but if they have issues with it or request something different that is an easy change.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Percocet following a tummy tuck

Percocet, Vicodin, etc. are all appropriate narcotic pain medications following a tummy tuck and should not result in water retention to my knowledge.  I do find that certain patients may respond better to one medication over another and that will oftentimes determine which pain medication I prescribe for my patient.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Pain Medicine after Tummy Tuck

There are many safe and widely used pain medications.  Percocet and Vicodin are commonly prescribed examples, and I am not aware of water retention as a side effect.  Each doctor will prescribe the medication that he/she is most comfortable with and that seems best for each patient.  For example, since some patients tend to have nausea or an upset stomach when taking Percocet or Vicodin, then the doctor might prescribe a newer drug Nucynta, which has much less chance of causing stomach upset.  Also remember that many patients will experience constipation as a side effect of these pain medications, so it is helpful to take a stool softener as a preventative measure to keep you comfortable.

Richard G. Schwartz, MD