Is weight loss required for plastic surgery?

I am 25 years old, 5'10, and 260ish lbs. I am interested in getting a brachioplasty so I can start wearing sleeveless shirts and dresses but I keep hearing that I should lose weight first because once I do lose weight I will probably need to get the procedure again. The thing is that I am not interested in losing weight. I'm content with my current weight, I just want my arms to be a smoother.

Weight Loss and Cosmetic Surgery in Melbourne, Florida

It is always optimal to lose as much weight as you can prior to your plastic surgery procedures; however, I have found over the years that many patients are simply unable to lose weight and therefore, may benefit from cosmetic surgery procedures, as well as may benefit from the motivation they feel after the procedure is complete. I have many patients that have gone on to lose considerable amounts of weight after their cosmetic procedures when they were unable to do so before. Ultimately, this decision is between you and your board-certified plastic surgeon. There, of course, health considerations depending on your weight and one would always keep in mind the desire to proceed as safely as possible. I hope this information is helpful to you. Best of luck!

Melbourne Plastic Surgeon

Weight Loss

We recommend being at your ideal weight before proceeding with surgery, if you are at your ideal weight then that is fine, if you want to lose some, then do that first.

Weight Loss and Brachioplasty

Hello!  Tightening the arm with a brachioplasty will improve the contour.  As long your weight remains stable, the contour should not change.  If you loose weight, then skin most likely will loosen and hang once again.  You mentioned wearing short sleeves, please be aware, the scar, although hidden in the inside of your arm extends from the armpit to the elbow. Additionally being overweight, smoking and having sugar diabetes can lead to poor wound healing, wider scars and less than optimal result

Bryan Michelow, MD, FACS
Beachwood Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  People with a body mass mass index over 35 (morbidly obese) may have increased risk for complications including blood clots (deep vein thrombosis), anesthesia complications, wound healing complications and a poor aesthetic result.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently.

In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. When the time is right, seeking consultation with well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons will be your next/best step. Best wishes.

Weight Loss and Surgery

Thanks for your question!
In most cases, it is not necessary to lose weight before plastic surgery, but it does lessen the chance of complications. If you're planning to lose weight though, you should lose it before your surgery so that the skin does not stretch and loosen after the surgery and recovery have been completed. 
Regardless, you should visit a board-certified surgeon for a consultation to determine a personalized plan for you to ensure optimal results.

Best of luck

There is an increase % of complications at high BMIs in any surgery! Best to seek a few in person opinions from boarded PSs in FL.