How much weight should I lose before even considering setting a surgery date for Mommy Makeover?

I'm 5'5 241.6lbs (just weighed myself). I am considering having a mommy makeover done and for sure want a BBL performed. I want to be realistic in my approach, I know I will have excess skin and need it removed so I figured why not get the MM and BBL done at that point. I would also like any doctors that have extensive experience with my body shape to pls respond I would love to see you're work so I can get an idea of what's to come. Thanks in advance for stopping, reading, and/or responding ☺

Mommy make over

Dear madam,
     Thanks for submitting your pictures and your 'wish' pictures. Unfortunately, it's going to be a long road to get close to your 'wish' shape. Your BMI is 40 and your ideal weight is 150 lbs.  Losing 90 pounds is not easy, but I have seen it done by determined patients. To help you, I would recommend the book 'Sugar busters' which I recommend to all my over weight  patients. It will teach you how to eat the right food and lose weight. As far as surgery, your first procedure should be tummy tuck. Quite a few patients of mine lost over 40 pounds after surgery. This happens because of the abdominal muscles tightening, which reduces the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger. After your weight stabilizes you can consider breasts reduction. This can be followed up later , with butts augmentation. I do not recommend BBL, because the fat does not last more than 6 - 12 months as I have seen on many patients who came to my surgery center for butt implants after the disappointment from fat injection that was done by other surgeons. Your best option will be butt implants. Word of caution, limit your surgeries to 6 hours at a time, to reduce complications which some of them can be very serious.Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive. Check also the 'realself' reviews fpr positive patients experience which provides impotrant information on the surgeons.
                                Dr Widder

Realistically you need to lose 40 +++ pounds before surgery. But best to obtain ONLY IN PERSON opinions... 

Thank you for the question and pictures. Although I cannot provide you with a specific number, when it comes to your “ideal weight” prior to surgery, some general thoughts may be helpful to you.  You are wise in achieving your long-term stable weight prior to undergoing tummy tuck surgery.   Doing so will improve the safety of the operation, likely improve the outcome of the  operation, and decreased chances that additional surgery will be “necessary” with subsequent weight loss. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.  Liposuction surgery is simply a tool used during tummy tuck surgery in some cases. For example, it can be used to help contour the abdominal wall, flank areas, and/or pubic area.   Ultimately, the most important decision you make is careful selection of your plastic surgeon. Make sure that he/she can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Make sure also that you have enough “support”  at home for several weeks  after the procedures. I hope this, and the attached link (dedicated to mommy makeover surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes.

Ideal Body Weight for a Mommy Makeover

The Mommy Makeover is a combination of procedures to bring a woman’s body back to the way she looked prior to pregnancy. Most commonly some variation of a #TummyTuck and #BreastSurgery are performed. Additional procedures can include liposuction, umbilical hernia repair.  The most common #breastprocedures include #mastopexy or #breastlift, #breastaugmentation, or #breastreduction. It is best to undergo #MommyMakeover procedures when your weight has been stable for at least one year. 

In addition to a one-on-one consultations with a board certified Plastic Surgeon, patients always need to be seen by their primary care doctor prior to such procedures.  We screen every patient and their medical records for risks of blood clots (DVT) and then take appropriate measures.  MWL (massive weight loss patients of  75 lbs or more) tend to have poor skin elasticity and will frequently need additional tightening even afte 6 -12 months regardless of who or how their surgery is performed. This is simply the nature of such body tissues and the ability to heal with the lack or limited elasticity. 

How much weight loss before mommy makeover

Thanks for the photos.  As a general rule, one would like their patient to be within 30 lbs of their goal weight. The rate of complications, (surgical and anesthesia), is less. The result usually does not have to be revised as much, (as opposed to someone who had an operation and then lost 60 lbs). Please speak with a board certified plastic surgeon. Together you will come up with a good plan.

Jeffrey J. Roth, MD, FACS

Your first step with the information given should be to loose weight in order to be at a good BMI so that you are healthy for a procedure, I will say at least 50 pounds. 

Many surgeons, including myself, offer online virtual consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. I, like many surgeons, also offer free consultations so that you can be examined and given the most accurate quote.

Choose a board certified plastic surgeon who has done a ton of Mommy Makeover and has privileges to do this surgery at a local university hospital. This says his credentials have been checked out by fellow Drs. All surgeries carry risk, talk to your plastic surgeon and choose one wisely.

Weight Loss

If you can get your weight as low as possible the risks of healing from a Tummy Tuck will go down significantly. You need to get to a safe and healthy BMI before scheduling any surgery. The key to long standing success is to be at a stable weight. Make sure your lifestyle is such that you don't gain the weight back after if you do have surgery or you will likely be unhappy.  In my practice in the San Francisco Bay Area I have come to the conclusion that the happiest patients are those that have realistic expectation on what a procedure will and won’t do for them. Good luck! Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy Makeover

What is your lowest weight in the past 5 years? Have you been on a diet exercise program? What is a realistic goal weight for you? Have you ever considered weight loss surgery?  These are some of the question that you need to be honest with yourself. In your picture in the mirror and with your stats you are a larger patient that BMI is high associated with increased complications. I  would need to talk to you extensively about your goals and would want you to try weight loss over the next 6 months  to see how much we could reduce your BMI.

David Liland, MD

I would lose 50 lbs and then find an expert in all of those procedures to get you to where you want to go.

Tummy Tuck/ BBL Candidate

Thanks for your question and pictures. Ideally, you should be as close to your goal weight as possible before undergoing surgery. Once you start the process of consultations, be sure to see board certfied plastic surgeons who specialize in these procedures and can show you hundreds of before and after pictures. Best of luck to you