Follow Up Question: Five weeks on and still sore from smart lipo especially with the massage.

I had smart Lipo on stomach flanks and back five weeks ago and I am still sore. I have had 10 "massages" and fund them incredibly painful almost to tears. I have a small area of fibrosis on Flanks and lumpy (which I know is normal) but when I receive the massage I am in a lot of pain. Is this normal five weeks on or should I stop the massage. I have decreased compression size garment but afraid of going too tight. What is normal at this stage? Any help is appreciated.

Excessive Pain Is Not Normal

I suggest discontinuing the massage therapy until you can speak with your surgeon. Massage is a common recommendation following liposuction, but it's generally not advisable to continue doing anything that causes you that much pain. Please share your experience with your surgeon, as well as your massage therapist.  There is likely a modified option that will offer you the benefits of massage -- without the pain. I find that applying heat in the form of heating pads and warm baths helps resolve the pain and swelling you are describing.  I wish you speedy healing. 

Spokane General Surgeon

Post Liposuction Irregularities, Swelling -- Try Massage, Velashape or Venus Legacy With Your Compression

I suggest speaking to your physician.  Pain out of the ordinary is not common weeks after liposuction, but it is common to have healing over the next few weeks to months,  Best, Dr. Emer.

Might be best STOP the massages and only have external ultrasound. BUT I can not be sure what direction to recommend to you without in person examination of the post op areas of SmartLipo.

It is not that rare to be sore at 5 weeks

Most patients are not as sore as you are but everyone is different. I can't be sure but i think you having so many massages so early, as actually added to you pain. I think the massages can be a bit uncomfortable but especially early on, are detrimental if they are very painful. 

i think you should stop the massages for a few weeks or if you continue them, tell the massage 
therapist, that you want it to be pleasant and not painful. 

if you have good skin tone, then you can either stop the compression garment. If you prefer to keep wearing it, then just make it comfortable and not too tight. 

hang in there. The pain will gradually go away.

best of luck
david berman md

David E. Berman, MD
Sterling Plastic Surgeon