It's been a week post liposuction on my lower back and waist and there is no change in my figure?

Still swollen have a dent in my back that goes all the way to the left side of my waist and a lump and I see no change in my figure and I'm I'm using my compression garment and the foam on each side please can someone tell me is this is ok after a week having liposuction on my lower back and waist

No Changes After Liposuction

Thank you very much for your question. Unfortunately, one-week post-op is too early to assess the results from your liposuction procedure. Swelling during the initial recovery period is common, and this can continue for three months or longer. It is important that you continue wearing your compression garment, as recommended by your operating surgeon, as this will help keep swelling to a minimum. Over the next two to three months, as the swelling slowly resolves, you will start to notice your final results appear. Should you have any further concerns, I recommend that you speak with your operating surgeon for additional advice. 

When do I see liposuction results

One week after surgery is common to have swelling and irregularities.  It is important to follow your surgeon's postoperative instructions and wear the compression garment. It may take up to 3 months or less before seeing an expected permanent result . Sometimes tissue healing can last for 6 months.

Frequent visits to your provider will help guide you through the postoperative period. Post operative massage is very helpful in healing. We have been using the Hivamat massage system to accelerate healing of swelling and lumpiness so commonly seen after liposuction.

Any irregularities that persist should  be evaluated by your plastic surgeon.

Andrew Turk, MD
Naples Plastic Surgeon

Healing process

The lumpiness, swelling, itching and hardness after a surgery like you had typically persists at least 8 weeks after the surgery then slowly goes away. In my experience, daily massage of the hard areas makes the biggest difference in getting rid of it sooner rather than later. It can easily take 6 months or more to see results. Be sure to keep any scheduled follow up appointments you have with your surgeons for his evaluation and advice. Hope this helps.

Dean Vistnes, M.D.
Vistnes Plastic Surgery
San Francisco Bay Area

#liposuction #drdeanvistnes #realself

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

One week post liposuction

One week after surgery is too soon; you are swollen and most likely too early to see results.  You need to be patient, wear your compression garment and follow your surgeons post operative instructions.  At the 3 month mark you will see a significant difference even though you are still swollen and still improving. 

Best of luck to you

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Liposuction - one week later and no change

Thank you for asking about your liposuction.

It is entirely normal to see no change a week after liposuction because of swelling. Without examining you, one can't comment on the dent - you should see your own plastic surgeon to discuss your concerns. That way you will get the best post-surgical care.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Post lipo recovery

Hi Bety, thank you for the question. Without a photo it is impossible to make a sensible suggestion for you. However, It is perfectly normal to have swelling and not really be able to see the true outcome in the early post op period. It takes a minimum of 3 months and you should be wearing your pressure garments at all times for 6 weeks at least.

Posting before and after photos really helps with offering you advise! My only response is min my hands my patients see immediate significant changes within a few dats following any type of liposuction. Whether SmartLipo or my layered liposuction or both. Was your surgeon even a boarded Plastic Surgeon? Where you done under general vs local anesthesia? 

Post lipo concerns

Thank you for your question. Without seeing before and after I can not comment. It is common to have swelling at this stage of healing. It will get better over a period of 3 months. Please express your concerns to your PS