I had Voluma in my cheeks but I really don't like the result. Any suggestions?

I had voluma in my cheeks but i really don't like the résult . I had only 0,5 cc on each side , Very small amount . My doctor told me that it is going To disappear in 6 to 9 mounths . Is it true ?? Thank you

Don't like the Voluma

Yes you can have it dissolved. You would need to go back to the doctor who injected the product and they can reverse it. You need to consult your doctor and see if that can be done. SInce you only had .5 injected that is not that much and should go awayt in a few months. 

Voluma and Cheek Injections and Dissolving

Voluma is a great product and when injected properly has fabulous results.  The study of Voluma longevity was done on patients who had over 6 syringes injected.  If you had such a small amount of product, it should go away within 6 to 9 months. If you are unhappy you can have Vitrase injected to dissolve the product.  Please keep us posted and let us know what happens and why you didn't like the results. Best, Dr. Green

Voluma treatment

Voluma is reported to last up to two years.  However, there is an agent that can be injected that will dissolve the product.  I would suggest speaking with your injector to discuss why you are unhappy with your treatment, and if necessary you can have the product dissolved.

Camille Cash, MD

Thank you for your question. Without a photo it is hard to give a helpful answer. If you feel it is too much or do not like the look then i would suggest getting it reversed. If you do not see a difference then you probably were under treated. Voluma lasts up to two years in the cheek area so it may be a good idea for you to consult with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon for future treatment plans.

Why Don't You Like Voluma

From your question, it's unclear if you're unhappy with the volume addition or that you didn't get enough lift.   Please be specific.   Voluma generally lasts more than 6 to 9 months, however.  Please let us know what the problem actually is and we can give better advice, or see another doctor for a second opinion.

Michael A. Greenberg, MD
Elk Grove Village Dermatologist

The first thing you should do is go to see your doctor and have him or her take your photos and compare them with the pre-treatment pictures.  If after that you still feel the same way your doctor can inject you with an antidote and the filler will disappear within hours.  

Victoria Karlinsky, MD
Manhattan General Surgeon

Juvederm Voluma

To answer your question it is important to understand why you don't like your result. If you don't see substantial difference (0.5cc is very small amount) you might require additional filler. Alternatively, if you have some lumpiness that does not settle down with massage, your doctor could consider using hyaluronidase to dissolve it. Note, it might require several sessions as it is tougher to dissolve Juvederm Voluma compared to older subtypes of Juvederm fillers, given "cross-linking" involved in such preparations. It is thought that Juvederm can last up to 18 months. 

Andrei Metelitsa, MD, FRCPC
Calgary Dermatologic Surgeon

Discuss what can be done...

Depending on your age and volume loss , 0.5 is a very small amount, especially if the filler is placed deeply. You have a few options-
1. Leave it alone- but it can take 18 months or beyond to dissipate.

2. Have MORE filler to hide the contours and reshape ( caution!)

3. Dissolve with hyaluronidase. 

I think an in depth discussion with your doctor is needed for this one. 

All the best 

Dr Davin Lim 
Laser and aesthetic dermatologist
BRISBANE, Australia. 

Davin Lim, MBBS, FACD
Brisbane Dermatologist

The amount of Voluma you had injected is a very small amount. I normally will use at least 1cc in each cheek to see a difference. If you really are adverse to the result, your physician can dissolve it using hyaluronidase and it should be gone in a day or so, if not sooner.

David S. Felder, MD
Fort Lauderdale Oculoplastic Surgeon

Don't like Voluma Results

Sorry to hear you don't like your Voluma results. 0.5cc is not very much to the cheeks and I don't think it will last the full 2 years. It will probably start to fade after 6 months or so. If you really don't like the way it looks and want it to go away faster then you can have it dissolved with Hyaluronidase.

Michael A. Zadeh, MD, FACS
Sherman Oaks General Surgeon