Upper eyelid surgery. Is it too early to tell if uneven? (Photo)

Hi I had this done about 6 days ago I k is its really early but one eye looks like it was cut higher then the other although I did have a vein on the eye that seems smaller do you think this will even out a bit or was the cuts not placed properly

Eyelids look great

Your eyelids look almost perfect. Remember, through surgery we can improve the appearance but there are limitations based on the underlying anatomy. Those limitations make it impossible to make everyone into a perfect clone. Your eyelids look phenomenal and with healing will most likely be perfect. I would ease the worry. 

Denver Oculoplastic Surgeon

Uneven post lift

I would not worry about this.You are only 6 days so keep your head up and give it time to settle.You should do fine.

Robert Brueck, MD
Fort Myers Plastic Surgeon

Scar placement

Hello. It is much too early to tell whether your scar will be noticeable 5 days after your surgery. After your swelling resolves a better assessment can be made. Your early postoperative appearance, however, is excellent. Routine follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.  Good luck. 

Dr. B

Upper eyelid surgery

At only 6 days you are extremely early in the healing process and the asymmetry you are experiencing is completely normal and expected. You will notice change for the next several weeks, be patient and give your body time to heal. Keep any scheduled follow ups you with your surgeon and follow his post-op instructions. Best wishes, Dean Vistnes.

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Too early

Yes its too early.  Allow at minimum 3 months to determine if there really will be any objectionable asymmetry.  There will always be some asymmetry with any surgery. 

Yes, It's Too Early!

The one piece of advice I would like to give at this very early juncture: you trusted your Surgeon to perform a procedure for you, now trust him/her in the healing process. 6 days is far too early to provide any further comment.

Stephen Prendiville, MD
Fort Myers Facial Plastic Surgeon

Upper eyelid surgery. Is it too early to tell if uneven?

Seriously, ONLY 6 days! Plus the posted photo does not even show any real asymmetries. Also no before photo to compare and see if you had normal anatomic differences. Allow 3 months healing than if unhappy see your chosen surgeon... BTW appears you have had many surgeries with many issues, so you must be familiar with healing phases... 

Pre and post operative asymmetries.

Hello,  It is difficult to answer your question with certainty without measuring your eyelids and seeing various photos.  There are many variables that come into play here.  However, the inferior (lower) incision made for each upper eyelid should be within 1 or maybe 2 millimeters of each other as measured from the incision to the eyelashes.  In other words, the distance from the closed incision to the eyelashes on the right and left should ideally be equal distance.  If the distance from the incision to the lashes is 2mm or more, it is noticable upon closer inspection.  In your photo, it appears that you are holding your brow up which may itself cause differences in the upper eyelids.  I think you look good for 6 days post-operative.  Most everyone has facial asymmetries.  The right eye and the left eye will have noticeable differences naturally.  It is common in the post-operative period for patients to be hyper-sensitive to their asymmetries.  We tend to inspect our results very critically.  The swelling and bruising between the two sides may exacerbate the differences as well.  Usually, asymmetries existed pre-operatively but were not noticed and/or the surgeon did not discuss or possibly realize the asymmetries themselves.  Be patient.  I think you are going to have a very nice result.

Ryan Mitchell, DO, FAOCO
Henderson Facial Plastic Surgeon

Swelling causes asymmetry

Thank you for the question and photo. The scar cannot be evaluated at this point, nor can symmetry. Wait a few months before judging the outcome. In the meantime, wear sunglasses to avoid hyperpigmentation of the scar. Keep your follow up appointments with your surgeon. Good luck.

Eyelid Surgery

6 days is way too early to make any final decisions on the outcome of your surgery.  Often, one side will take longer to heal than the other and one side may be more swollen.  Make sure that your surgeon is aware of your concerns.  I usually don't make any final calls on asymmetry until at least 3-6 months afterwards.  Good luck!

Samuel Baharestani, MD
Long Island Oculoplastic Surgeon