Unwanted white beard/depigmentation after IPL for rosacea, male face

I recently had an IPL facial to cheeks and forehead for rosacea. Usually practitioner does not go below beardline. I have no desire for beard removal. This time the dermatologist zapped lower cheek area and lip. Strangely enough, I notice 3 weeks later that my salt-pepper beard (I take vitamins to prevent further graying) is now all white! Compared to neck, which has still majority dark hairs. What happened? Will color come back to beard? Hairs don't seem to be falling out, just depigmented.

Thanks for your query. The melanin will come back. It might come back when the next hair cycle comes. It is unlikely that the melanin goes in one single session of Ipl. Just wait for a while and it should come back. Hope it helps.

All The Best

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All The Best

Hair loss after IPL

Thank you for your question longface. IĀ understand your concern. IPL is a great treatment for facial rejuvenation. It also works well for rosacea and can be used for permanent hair reduction. Settings for rosacea and hair reduction are different and for full hair reduction a series of treatments is required. It is possible to have patchy hair loss when IPL is performed on hair bearing areas and I discuss this with my patients before treating such areas. For permanent hair reduction IPL and lasers target the pigment in the skin so only dark colored hairs are affected, not white hairs. Usually most hair comes back after only a single session.

Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Hair loss after IPL