Umbilicoplasty, Mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck? (photos)

Hi, After 2 pregnacies (2 c-sections) I would like to improve the appearance of my stomach. I have had 3 consultations from plastic surgeons. One tells me a miny tummy tuck with lipo, the other full tummy tuck and my last one an umbilicoplasty to fix my hernia as well and lipo. I don't know what is best. I need some advise. Thank you,

Post pregnancy improvement of abdomen

First of all you do have what appears to be a small umbilical hernia that should be addressed at the time of your abdominal surgery, having said that your photos are consistent with someone that I would recommend undergo a limited dissection abdominoplasty combined with VASER-assisted liposuction plus a repair of the umbilical hernia,

What is my best option?

Your photos show us that there is a considerable amount of excess skin in the central abdomen area and some muscle laxity as well. Your result will probably come up short if you do not opt for a tummy tuck. The navel can only be "floated" so far-- about 2 cm from its current location with a "mini-tummy tuck". There is no substitute for a physical examination to determine the ideal type of tummy tuck that will best suit your needs. You CAN expect a trimmer figure with a tummy tuck-- be sure that you consult a Board Certified plastic surgeon who can demonstrate plenty of experience with tummy tuck/figure restoration such as you demonstrate.

Tad Grenga, MD, FACS
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Mini tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. Based on photos alone. I believe a mini Tummy tuck will get you the best results. It will also allow you to fix the umbilical hernia that you have. I don't think you have enough excess skin for a full tummy but this would only be determined on a physical exam. An umbilical plastic alone never looks perfect IMO. Please take a look at some of my pt reviews for their before and afters on a mini tummy tuck. Best of luck with you procedure .

Johnny Shea-Yuan Chung, MD, FACS
Allentown Plastic Surgeon

Umbilicoplasty, Mini tummy tuck or full tummy tuck?

Even though - I don't have the benefit of physical exam, I would lean toward full Tummy Tuck with umbilicoplasty. This will give you in my opinion the best result. 

Mini tummy tuck vs full tummy tuck

Dear Vicky,   Thanks for submitting your pictures. From observing your pictures, you appear to have skin and muscles laxity from the upper abdomen to the pubic bone with diffuse stretch marks, especially around the belly button and possibly 2 umbilical hernias.   I have been in practice for over 29 years and performed tummy tuck surgery on well over 1000 patients. Based on that experience, I can tell you that mini tummy tuck will be an unhappy compromise for you and you will end up, after all, getting the full tummy tuck later on , which will add significantly to your total cost and double the recovery time.   You appear to be in beautiful shape, so get the surgery that will give you the optimal result matching your youthful body. The full tummy tuck will give you the following: Flat stomach, tight and youthful skin with the stretch marks  low on your belly and less noticeable due to the skin tightening, narrower waists, better body posture and you will lose few pound due to the muscles tightening that will reduce the amount of food that you can eat and your sense of hunger.   Important note. I do not perform tummy tuck and liposuction at the same time due to significant increase in severe complication rate. In a recent article in the plastic surgery journal, based on data from insurance company that insures only cosmetic surgery patients, it was shown that the combined procedures increases the complication rate X 10 !  So play it safe.   You have to realize though , that not all results are the same, because experience, skills and aesthetic eye are critical for good outcome. So, do your due diligence carefully and choose your surgeon wisely.   Always, consult with experienced board certified plastic surgeons who operate in accredited surgery center for your safety. Most importantly, check the before and after pictures in the photo gallery, to make sure that they are numerous, consistent and attractive to you. Also, check the reviews on 'RealSelf' for ratings and positive experience reports.                                   Best of luck,                                                            Dr Widder

They are all appropriate options. Which one you decide on depends on your goals and the trade-offs you will need to make for each option. All options have advantages and disadvantages. Amount of scar, amount of money, amount of recovery, amount of risk vs amount of change.

Robert H. Hunsaker, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. Based on your photograph, you are a great candidate for a full tummy tuck with liposuction.  This can be done through a low and short incision, all completely below the bikini line.  Your muscles can also be plicated resulting in a flat abdomen.  Make sure you specifically look at before and after pictures of real patients who have had this surgery performed by your surgeon and evaluate their results.  The most important aspect is to find a surgeon you are comfortable with. I recommend that you seek consultation with a qualified board-certified plastic surgeon who can evaluate you in person.

Best wishes and good luck.

Richard G. Reish, M.D.
Harvard-trained plastic surgeon

Richard G. Reish, MD

My over the internet pure guess since best to have in person opinions! correction of umbilical hernia than short scar mini TT with lipo Fee $6,000+++. But it depends upon exactly what you desire. Seek more in person opinions.....

Which procedure is best?

To be honest, you have a tough situation.  You don't appear in these photos to have enough excess skin for a full tummy tuck.  However, it is difficult to say that for sure without examining you.  Liposuction with a mini-tummy tuck will not address the loose skin above the belly button, or the stretch marks either, for that matter.  You do appear to have an umbilical hernia.  My recommendation would be a mini-tummy tuck with abdominal wall liposuction and repair of the umbilical hernia.  After that you could consider one of the modalities available for skin tightening.  Best of luck.

George H. Pope, MD