Does it have to be a tummy tuck? (photo)

Hi! 26 yr old mom, 7 months post partum. Had a very big baby and diastasis- I've closed two fingers-width so far. I take good care of myself and run / do yoga / resistance training and eat well. I've dropped the weight but have creping. I'm just curious if any non-invasive treatments will help my tummy and make me a little more confident. I'm not looking for flatness as much as improved texture / belly button. I've always had a curvy belly. Creams / oils never panned out for me so here I am.

Tummy tuck better

Your belly looks like it’s in fairly good shape for just 7 months after giving birth. Congratulations! If you’re more concerned about the wrinkled skin, you can try nonsurgical treatments but I must say that nothing achieves as predictable and dramatic results as a tummy tuck. In addition, a tummy tuck would correct your diastasis recti.

Post partum belly

Congratulations on your child birth. You need an in person exam to evaluate what your goals are and what each non-surgical can address. Sculpsure is a non surgical fat reduction procedure. Radio frequency treatments are used to treat the loose skin and the stretch marks. If you are planning to have more pregnancies then you should hold off any kind of tuck operation.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy

You don't have a lot of loose skin to warrant a tummy tuck, especially if you may have more children.

Vaser ultrasound liposuction can remove unwanted fat and tighten skin with minimal down time. Other options include smart lipo and/ or thermi tight.

An exam and consultation with a plastic surgeon who performs these procedures is recommended to discuss your options and expectations. 

Tummy tuck

If you are planning to have more children, save your money and have a tummy tuck after your family is complete. If you want to reduce the curves, especially the flanks, then some liposuction could be considered.

Tummy tuck or not?

Hello. A tummy tuck is your best option. Laser liposuction alone will leave you with loose unsightly skin. Coolsculpting can help you to lose fat but again your excess skin will look worse. 

DrBurnett#realself100

I don't think so

You're going to find a huge variety of answers to your excellent question. My feeling is that several things happen after childbirth that are only corrected with a correct muscle repair and high tension repair to the skin and deeper tissues. From your pictures and history, you lost significant tissue tension in the upper thighs and suprapubic regions as well as the upper trunk, making you 'square' in your shape. There is a displacement of the muscles (and possibly the obliques) contributing to the problem. You may have, as most do, a 'reverse pelvic tilt' from this loss of tension contributing to a different posture and possibly back pain. These problems can only be corrected by an abdominoplasty by someone who has a lot of experience and knows what they're doing. Liposuction was be a 'false' cure and ultimately, I think, is not what you want. Hope this helps. Best of luck.

Leland Deane, MD
Long Island Plastic Surgeon

Tummytuck vs Liposuction

Diet and exercise is first option. Liposuction will decrease bulk and may even allow you to go down one dress size, but Tummytuck will give you most dramatic result. Be sure to consult with a board certified plastic surgeon to help guide you. Good luck!

Robert M. Tornambe, MD

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question.
In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Tummy Tuck with muscle repair, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.
Finally, I suggested take the fat we get and transfer to the buttocks and hips, to mold them and get better volume, contour and butt projection, is that we know as "Brazilian Butt Lift" (BBL).
Kind regards,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy Tuck - Am I A Candidate?

Thank you for your question and photos. You appear to be an excellent candidate for a full tummy tuck. The skin excision and muscle tightening could give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. It is best to have the surgery once you have completed your family. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Other possibilities to tummy tuck

Thank you for your question. There are many ways to address your question.  You would not want to consider a tummy tuck until you are sure you are done having children and are at a healthy and stable weight.  You are doing all the right things with your exercise. For helping the skin tighten up, aside from surgery,  I would suggest trying some fractional laser treatments and even some micro needling treatments. These may help in a small way. When you are through having children, a tummy tuck and liposuction would give you the most significant improvement for the diastasis and the skin tightening.
Dr. Marcus Peterson

Marcus L. Peterson, MD
Saint George Plastic Surgeon