How low could my tummy tuck scar be placed? Am I a candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck? (Photo)

47 years old and 2 big pregnancies. I have read the location of the TT scar is dictated by your body type and the amount of excess skin above your belly button.I am wondering if I could have a very low incision even if I don't have an extremely large amount of upper skin laxity.

Tummy Tuck Scar Location

In the vast majority of patients, the tummy tuck incision is placed low enough so that the final scar rests just above the upper border of the pubic hair and angles slightly higher toward the hips.  I usually ask my patients to come to the surgical suite wearing typical panties or a bikini, so that I can mark the incision so the scar will fall within the bikini or panty lines.  Based on your photo, you have a bulge in the lower abdomen that creates a step-off overhang deformity.  Therefore, I recommend a fairly standard incision, not the mini tuck incision.  A full tummy tuck dissection would allow the most thorough skin and muscle tightening along with fat removal.

How low could my tummy tuck scar be placed?

Thank you for your question. Full tummy tuck is best. In some patients it can be combined with liposuction. There are several variations of tummy tuck surgery like regular tummy tuck, mini tummy tuck, extended tummy tuck each designed to target certain areas of the abdomen. During the procedure the incision will be made low at about the same level as your pubic hair for the scar to be hidden under bikini level. For improved tightening of the upper abdomen a small incision around belly button might be necessary. Placement of the belly button is very important for a beautiful belly. Tummy tuck operation is also a surgical choice for patients whom want to get rid of love handles. Our experienced plastic surgeons will explain these options and help you find out best treatment plan to reach satisfactory results.

Bulent Cihantimur, MD
Turkey Plastic Surgeon

How low could my tummy tuck scar be placed? Am I a candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck?

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided information and picture as well. Normally the incision of the tummy tuck is really low. And by your picture I think is better to choose a tummy tuck instead of a mini tuck, because the amount os the saggy skin. I recommend to make an evaluation with a board certified plastic surgeon for an evaluation and to talk about your goals.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Tummy tuck incision placement.

The tummy tuck scar is typically very low - usually at or below the start of the pubic hairline. This keeps the incision well hidden in bathing suits and underwear. Given the amount of excess skin shown in your picture, you would be better off with a full tummy tuck. Certainly the scar can be kept as low as you'd like - but you may have a small vertical scar (the hole from the previous belly button) if all of the lower abdominal skin cannot be safely brought down to that low position. This small vertical scar is usually less than an inch in height and heals very well.

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the question and picture. In my practice, I would offer you the full tummy tuck operation; any lesser operation would not end up with an outcome that you or I would be pleased with. I think it would be possible to keep the incision quite low.

Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.

In my opinion, the mini tummy tuck is an operation that produces very limited results and is very rarely indicated. It involves a shorter incision but does not address the majority of the abdominal wall issues present for most patients who present consultation. For example, the area of skin excised is quite small. The abdominal wall musculature is addressed below the umbilicus leaving the upper number wall potentially lax. The appearance of the umbilicus is not necessarily addressed sufficiently.

For the vast majority of patients who have had pregnancies and/or weight loss a full abdominoplasty is necessary to achieve the desired results.   When the time is right, seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience helping patients achieve the types of outcomes you would be pleased with.   You may find the attached link, dedicated to tummy tuck surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more. Best wishes. 

Full Tummy tuck candidate

Thank you for your question. Tummy tuck surgery is one of our favorite operations because of the dramatic improvements abdominoplasty patients achieve. There are various types of abdominoplasty procedures for patients to choose from. Each one is designed to treat a specific set of needs.  In consultation with a qualified plastic surgeon, the choice of procedure will be made based on your anatomic features and desired outcome.  While all tummy tucks have in common that they tighten the abdominal skin, there are two key differences between the various procedures. The incision lengths vary depending on the amount of skin to be excised, and the abdominal muscles may be tightened if they have excess laxity. The length of the incision is determined by the amount of loose skin that is to be removed. The incision lengths vary from as short as six inches (Mini Tummy Tuck) to as long as the entire circumference of the waist (Body Lift). The most common incision length runs from hip to hip concealed beneath the bikini line (Full or Traditional Tummy Tuck). In addition to removing loose skin, localized fat deposits can also be removed during your tummy tuck. It is recommended, however, that you be as close as possible to your goal weight before having the procedure. If your concerns extend beyond the tummy, we can safely combine liposuction with tummy tucks for more dramatic results. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Tummy tuck + Lipo candidate, some advices:

Thanks for the question. 

In this regard, I'm totally agree with you, therefore i recommend you a Full Tummy Tuck, to get a flat abdomen and waist and back Liposculpture, getting better curves especially in the waist, improving your body contour.

Kind regards 

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. You would benefit most from a full tummy tuck. It is best to see a board certified plastic surgeon who can see you in his/her office for a full consultation, can provide answers to all of your questions as well as be available to you during your peri-operative recovery. Best wishes, Benjamin J. Cousins MD

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for the photo. You are a candidate for a full TT. A mini TT has very limited indications and in the wrong patient could actually mean "mini results". The distance between the pubic area and the belly button (how high or low the belly button is), and how much excess skin there is above a patients belly button is what best determines the amount of tissue that is excised and therefor determines how low we can actually go with the incision. But some surgeons don't take into account skin laxity in the pubic area, and this is why some incisions are too high. I believe a full TT with a very low incision can be performed in your case.

Me and my wife always try to have the incisions as low as possible. A low incision TT, that is low enough to treat the skin laxity of the pubic area can also produce a vaginal. You can see it in my post-op photos, even in patients that seem like a full TT might be too much. Be sure to look for a plastic surgeon experienced in these types of tummy tucks. 

Dr. Miguel Mota

Miguel Mota, MD

Candidate for a full or mini tummy tuck?

Hello and thank you for your question. 

You will need a full tummy tuck to obtain superior results. You will need liposuction of the abdomen and flanks to obtain these.

You can get as low an incision as you want. Some patients like yourself may be left with a short11/2 inch vertical scar just above where your horizontal scar is placed. This is due to a high riding belly button ( more attractive ) and less skin laxity above the belly button. This decision is discussed prior to surgery as the final decision can only be made at the time of surgery. 

Peter Fisher M.D 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon