Is my Tummy tuck healing correctly?? (photos)

I had a full tummy tuck 17 days ago. I am having minor pain and discomfort which I know can be normal but I noticed my incision looking a little open. The rest of my incision is not bothering me and was wondering if it is healing correctly or was it splitting open?? Should I be concerned?

TT wound healing issues

Hi mrsbrowneyes777
No, your wound is not healing normally.  To me it looks like your navel area and the horizontal wound below it appears to be struggling with blood supply (a bit), and inflammation (note the red areas and evidence of drainage).  I suggest that you call your doctor and let him evaluate you and treat as needed.
This appears to be a small issue now, but if you wait it may possibly become a big problem

Is my Tummy tuck healing correctly??

a genuinely good question,after 17 days its not normal to have pain and discomfort besides you are having some redness and swelling which are localised,its better for you to visit your ps and get yourself examined,yes it is a matter of concern,besides do you have diabetes or hypertension?if yes then definitely you must get your ps opinion at the earliest,its always better to be safe than sorry.

Thangavel Ayyappan, MBBS, MS, MCh, DNB
India Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck - am I healing well?

Thank you for asking about your tummy tuck.
  • You appear to healing well but with a small separation at the "T" junction of the incison.
  • I do not think you need be concerned but you should call your surgeon's office and report this.
  • If you were my patient, I would want to talk with you, check you in person or both.
  • If the area opens more widely, it is better to be seen..
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS