TT with Ortega. How soon can drains come out and do you recommend lymphatic massages?

I will be Having a tummy tuck with Dr. Ortega on 8/19. I am scheduled to fly back home to CT on 8/25. Will this allow enough time for follow-up appointment and the removal of the drains?? Will I require Lymphatic massages and how soon after surgery should It them?

Out of town surgery time in recovery

A few major issues are presented in this thread. I agree with Dr Redonde as to at least 10 days in recovery in the surgeon's city for any possible postop issues. But if the patient needs to return home than the operative surgeon should, and in my mind is required, to find a local PS colleague to care for the patient. Especially if a drain is in place. Thus your plan of less than 5 days In Miami is a faulty one! On another note, in my experience the vast % of DR surgeries return early also with many complications. So must say we need to practice what we preach. 

Hi and thanks for your question.

I recommend my patients to stay 14 days after a Tummy Tuck procedure. Usually the removal of the drain is the 7th. day "after the procedure" if the liquid have diminish enough.

I insist to see the patient 48 hours after surgery, at the 7th. day after surgery and 14 days after the surgery. If you count from the arrival to the departure day  it will be a total of 17 days.

I prefer to keep the patient a week after taking out the drain to "extract by syringe" any remaining fluid.

"Lymphatic massages" are not mandatory but will  help to ease your discomfort and swelling. 

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Tummy tuck recommendations. Some advices:

Thanks for sharing your concerns with us. 

I recommend you to follow your plastic surgeon advices. 

In my practice i suggest to stay at least 15 days post op in the country to have less risk of complications. 

Kind regards, 
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Medical Tourism

In my experience, the minimum time that you need to stay in the city where you have the surgery is 2 weeks after the surgery. This will give us time to treat any major complications and also to remove drains and any non absorbable stitches if used. I would never let one of my patients to return to his/her country or city in less than 2 weeks. 

If you are going to have your surgery, better do it in the right way.

Dr. Luis Redondo

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD