Traditional lipo and fat transfer survival?

Is traditional lipo the best for fat transfer survival??

Fat Transfer

Thank you for your question. It is not uncommon for surgeons to have different opinions. In my opinion one wants to utilize a type of liposuction that causes the least amount of damage to the fat cells. When performing fat injections into the face and hands I like to use tumescent technique. The fat is gently suctioned into 10cc syringes then transferred into 1cc syringes and injected. When performing large volume fat injections (e.g. Brazilian Butt Lifts or fat injections into the breast) I like to use the body jets which again tumesces the fat and then suctions the fat. For more information please watch the enclosed video and I hope you find this helpful. 

Liposuction and fat transfer

Thank you for asking about your liposuction and fat transfer.

• Traditional or pulsatile liposuction are used for fat harvesting for fat transfer.
  • All heated machines - laser and ultrasound -  are never used. They kill the fat and it will not survive.
  • Between 30% - 70% of fat transfers will survive.
  • Results are therefore unpredictable.
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon. Best wishes  - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Thank you for your question. With Brazilian butt lift we transfer fat from one area of the body to the other.  These fat cells are transferred in microinjections throughout multiple planes in the buttock tissue so that they can gain new blood supply and live in their new home, providing increased volume and shape to the buttocks. Traditional liposuction is the most common technique used for fat transfer.  The fat that survives is there permanently. Around 70% of fat that is grafted is typically expected to survive long term. We also put a little extra to account for loss of fat post operative, which is reabsorbed gradually by the body. 

Traditional lipo and fat transfer

Traditional lipo is commonly performed to harvest fat for transfer.   Good luck with your decision to move forward.

Option for fat grafting

there are many technical  factors wich affect outcone

like diameter of canula, numbur of holes  , pressure,  method of  harwest  and so on

please select  a plastic surgeo who have wast expirince

Milan Doshi, MCh
India Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Survival.

There are a number of steps in fat grafting that impact the amount of fat that survives. One is the method of harvest. Traditional liposuction uses a full atmosphere of suction and regular canulas. Both injure the fat cells. The canulae need to be specifically designed for taking fat for grafting and have a smoother non traumatic inner surface and a different hole design. The pressure also needs to be reduced significantly. Additionally, the method of washing or preparing the fat, the method of placement and where placed and the injection canula also effect the survival. Make sure you choose someone with significant experience in fat grafting as all these have to be combined for optimal results.

Robert T. Buchanan, MD
Highlands Plastic Surgeon

'Opinions vary'... from movie RoadHouse with the late great Patrick Swazye. I personal (drfixitmiami) believe low pressure suction forces, small sized cannula are the primary methods to collect fat safely. Than the next step is the fat processing - only in CLOSED system like the Red Head collections canisters. Finally is the re injection techniques, layered droplet injects in the subcutaneous plane to try to allow the droplets of fat to survive. I personally do not believe Vaser lipped fats are viable no matter what other experts say. Hope this helps.