What is the best type of breast augmentation for a diabetic patient under insulin?

Best type of breast augmentation . And the risk involved for a diabetic

MM for a diabetic

Most Diabetics can have plastic surgery safely. To minimize risks, you, your diabetic doctor along with your plastic surgeon need to make sure that your diabetes is under good control before and after the procedure. Although some complications may be increased, such as infection, the odds are generally in your favor that you will do OK

Breast augmentation and diabetes.

Diabetes increases two main risks with a breast augmentation - infection risk and wound healing. Although a breast augmentation is not a long or terribly painful operation, it is a "stress" to the body and can lead to higher fluctuations in blood sugars. Tight control of blood glucose should minimize these risks. I recommend having a conversation with your endocrinologist and having them involved in helping you manage your sugars before and after surgery. 

David Bogue, MD
Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation while DM

As long as your blood sugars are well controlled, you should be able to undergo a standard augmentation mammaplasty with no additional risks.  Of course, you need medical clearance as long term diabetes can increase your risk of perioperative complications.   Discuss your plans with your primary care doctor or endocrinologist as well as your plastic surgeon.  Best wishes!

Breast Augmentation in Diabetic Patient

Thank you for your question. It sounds like you may understand that you are going to be at a slightly higher risk for breast augmentation. The chances of infection and wound healing issues are slightly higher in insulin dependent diabetics. That being said, if your sugars are under control, you are otherwise healthy and you  do not smoke you may do fine and obtain a nice result. I would be conservative with the implant selection and try to limit the scars. Good luck!

Mark Deutsch, MD

Hi and thank you for your question. I have frequently performed not just breast augmentations but other cosmetic procedures such as tummy tucks and mommy makeovers on diabetic patients. The breast augmentation indicated is dependent on the patients unique breast shape and dimensions.

My 31 year old daughter has been a type 1 insulin dependent diabetic since the age of one. I feel very comfortable in managing any diabetic concerns prior to, during and after cosmetic surgery. I would request a medical  clearance. I need to see fairly good control with an A1C of less than 7.5. As you know diabetics have a more difficult time in healing their wounds but this does not preclude a diabetic from the benefit of having successful breast augmentation surgery.

In your quest, make that the surgeon you eventually select is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and has dealt with diabetic patients. Trust is key. Is the surgeon an individual who can earn your trust? Did he/she spend the time to explain everything to you? Did you feel confident in his/her ability to keep you safe and deliver a good result? How much time did he/she spend with you? or were you taken care of by a patient coordinator and and only saw the doctor briefly, if at all? Trust can only be established by being sincere and frank. Did you find him/ her to be that way? You want to be guided along your journey by someone whom you trust. I have always believed that trust needs to earned by an individual and not freely given to the title of "doctor".

We are one of only a few in South Florida that employ a web based program called TouchMD. Through this program potential patients from as far away as California can upload their photos. I then review each and everyone and draw my recommendations on your actual picture. This info is made available to you with the use of a private password that only you will have. TouchMD is private and follows all applicable privacy laws (HIPPA).

I wish you the best on your journey. I hope that the info provided has been helpful. Should you require any further clarification, do not hesitate to contact our institute. I answer all questions personally, not through patient coordinators or other marketing individuals. Dr. PG

Breats augmentation in Diabetics

As every procedure in any patient, the first thing is to schedule a consultation with an ASAPS member Plastic Surgeon, that will evaluate the possibility of success of this procedure in your case, asking for all the blood test and others, and you you particular cas will refer you to an endocrinologist to see if you are released for the procedure and also will give special insteutions for a total success. 

Luis Lopez Tallaj, MD

Insulin dependency exists independently of breast augmentation. I require that the endocrinologist provide clearance and be available for post-operative insulin management in all of my insulin dependent patients. This will ensure proper blood sugar levels throughout the post-operative period.

The operation is no different than on a non diabetic patient. Except you need a full pre op clearance from your internist.. Plus you will need available insulin at the office operating suite. This is how I do it, recently did a diabetic augmentation without issue. But there is a higher infection rate... 

Well controlled diabetes is not a contraindication to breast augmentation (with any type of breast implant) and/or other elective plastic surgical procedures. Always best to check with your primary care physician or endocrinologist for “medical clearance” prior to surgery.  Managing your diabetic medications around the time of surgery (to avoid hypo as well as hyperglycemia), while you  will have altered oral intake, will be important. This management should not be difficult in a  fully accredited surgery center. Best wishes. 

Thank you for the question!  In general, all surgeries are at slightly higher risk if infection and poor healing with diabetes.  That said, your risk should still be 2-3 percent for complication.  Be sure to seek our a board certified surgeon in an accredited facility.  Best of luck!

-Dr. Mussman

Jason Mussman, MD
Phoenix Plastic Surgeon