Procedure to get slimmer masseter muscle?

Hi, I've been dealing with hypertrophy for a few years now, and I noticed that my lower jaw has gotten bigger due to the muscles as well as headaches. I've been getting Botox injected for the past year (25 units each), but I was wondering if there was some sort of permanent solution to decrease the muscles. I've tried mouth guards and everything, but nothing seems to help...

Surgical reduction of masseter muscles

First, have you been getting botox every 3 months for at least a year?  Typically this does a good job of reducing the muscle bulk.  If you have not had a consistent series of treatments I would suggest you consider it.  If you already have and it is not working for you, there are surgical options.  When reducing the size of an overly strong mandible, I will start by removing bone.  Then, I will often also remove a portion of the masseter muscle if it is large and contributing to the problem.  There have also been studies that have shown that even if you don't actually remove any muscle, removing some of the bone will make the muscle shrink.  If your main complaint is that your full muscle and enlarging jaw are creating a more square and masculine lower face than you would like, then this procedure may be right for you.  A consultation with a surgeon who preforms mandible reductions will help you decide how to proceed. 

Bryan Rolfes, MD

Minneapolis Otolaryngologist