Would you suggest doing a Tummy tuck before or after a medial thigh lift?

After substantial weight loss, I am very unhappy with the loose skin in my abdomen and inner thighs. Short of looking like the Hulk I do not think I can build enough muscle to make up for the loss of almost 100 pounds. Which procedure should I do first? Will the tummy tuck affect my inner thighs at all? Or would a full body lift be a better option to address both at once? I only have so munch money set aside and want to choose wisely.

Lower body lift or thigh lift first

Hello and thank you for your question. Congratulations on your weight loss. I specialize in post massive weight loss body contouring and can confidently advise you to do a lower body lift first. It does have a small impact on the inner thighs but a major impact to the outside of the thighs when done correctly. Make sure that you consult with a ps that specializes in post massive weight loss body contouring and can show you before and after photos that impress you.
Peter Fisher M.D 

San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Body lift

I appreciate your question.
Without photos its hard to give you a great answer. However, I would typically recommend the tummy tuck or circumferential abdominoplasty first.
Then we would address the medial thighs and/or arms if needed.
The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

best of luck!

Dr Schwartz

Thighs or abdomen first

It really depends on which is bothering you more.  Aesthetically it does not matter which area you do first.  And great job for losing the weight!

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Body lift

It may be that with such a large amount of weight loss, a circumferential body lift would be best for you.  It depends on how much excess skin you have.   Sometimes an extended abdominoplasty is enough.  Either way, the tummy tuck portion will not affect your medial thighs and you will have to have this treated as well.  They can be done together. 

Tummy tuck after weight loss

Congratulations on the weight loss.  Typically, patients that have lost a significant amount of weight (and 100 pounds qualifies as significant) will have loose skin of the abdomen, flanks, and back so circumferential body lift is usually a better option than a tummy tuck.  When performing a circumferential body lift, you will see improvement in the anterior, lateral, and posterior thighs (and less so for the inner thighs).  It is better to address the trunk first and the thighs as a secondary procedure because some patients see enough improvement with the body lift that they feel that they don't need the thigh lift.  You should schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon who focuses on post-bariatric body contouring as they will have more experience with addressing the weight loss issues.  Good luck on your consultation and your surgery.

Craig B. Boswell, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck then Thigh lift

I would suggest to firs have the tummy tuck or any abdominal procedure. This procedure usually lift a bit under the abdominal area, this way we can address better your thighs.

I, like a few other colleagues offer online consultations where you send us your photos and we can estimate the cost. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and discuss what will be the proper treatment to achieve the result you desires.

Dr. Luis Redondo

Luis Eduardo Redondo, MD

Body Contouring After Massive Weight Loss

Your best place to start would be to see a board certified plastic surgeon that has experience with massive weight loss patients.

Having said that, the suggestion is usually to start with the torso and then move out from there.  This would mean breast and body first and then you can address the thighs and arms later.

The tummy tuck or body lift will not address the medial thigh.  There are 2 different procedures for the medial thigh and most patients who have lost significant weight need the bigger procedure of the two.

Hope that helps.

Farbod Esmailian, MD

Tummy Tuck BEFORE Thigh Lift

You are asking several questions at once, but the tummy tuck needs to be done before the thigh lift or you will be unhappy with the outcome (been there, done that).  Basically, you should set the lower abdominal scar and sort of have it "fixed" in position so that you can count on that tissue to stay put while you hang the inner thigh skin on it.  If you do it the other way around, you can't count on the scars landing where you want them.
Good Luck!

Thomas P. Sterry, MD

Thank you for your question and congratulations on your impressive weight loss.  In my experience with body contouring in the massive weight loss patient (>100lbs), most derive greater satisfaction from a tummy tuck or FDL abdominoplasty than a medial thigh lift.  A body lift is an excellent option to help address the outer thighs, abdomen, and buttock region, but will not effect the appearance of your inner thighs.  Ultimately the decision on which surgery is best for you is a personal choice, and your surgeon will be able to provide you with the benefits of each based on an in-person examination and discussion of your goal results.  Hope that this helps.

The first answer would be to have the procedure which would correct what is bothering U the most I do not personally believe that one or the other procedure has advantages to your overall results..  However in my experience the results of the tummy tack are generally speaking more satisfactory TU, produce a better result and have a less difficult recovery then do medial thigh tucks.  In that sense I would personally prefer to do the tummy tuck first.