How to stop sugar cravings after weightloss surgery?

I am a year and 6 months out from sleeve surgery. I gained about 17 pounds since June. How do I fight the sugar cravings and careless eating? I find myself snacking throughout the day, and drinking most of my calories. After a meal (a few bites) I find myself eating more about every 15 minutes or so until I eventually finish the entire plate. Water and beverages run right through me, and im not able to stay full off of them anymore.

How can I avoid sugar cravings

Hello, thanks for your question!!

1.Try to avoid artificial sweeteners. Artificial sweeteners can be 300x (if not more) sweetener than real sugar.

2.Rest. When the body is tired it looks for energy (it is trying to do us a favor) and it knows the the quickest way for energy to get into the body is via sugar. Ever notice that when you are tired you crave processed carbs and/or sweets? This is why. The next time you feel like you need to rest, do yourself a favor and rest.

3. Add more sweet food. This one is especially true for my dieters and low carb peeps. When we have a diet very low in carbohydrates and sugar we tend to want sweets. By simply adding some nutritious sweet foods to your day you can cut that craving way back. Some great examples are sweet potatoes, squash, brown rice, oats, and carrots. An idea of a yummy snack might be carob chips and coconut with nuts mix.

4. Protein. If you find yourself craving sugar, just take note of how much protein you have been eating. If it seems high, try cutting back. If it seems low, experiment with adding some more in. I’m telling you, being interested in ourselves is one of the best ways to figure out what our bodies need.

5. Add non-food sweetness. It can be a simple as a phone call with a dear friend, a walk, a girls night out, a great book, etc. The options are endless, but the key component is that you remember to keep yourself on the top of your own list.

I hope these tips help you! :)

Dominican Republic Bariatric Surgeon