Is it standard procedure to do muscle repair when doing a tummy tuck?

I'm planning to get a tummy tuck. However, I do know that I also need muscle repair. I've had four children and when I do a sit up I can see my muscles are definitely separated. I am doing my surgery out of state. So, I have not done a face to face consultation. So, is it normally done to do the muscle repair when getting the tummy tuck done?

Indications for Muscle Repair in Tummy Tuck

A standard tummy tuck may include removal of excess, stretchy skin, removal of excess fat, and tightening of the abdominal wall muscles (usually the rectus muscles that people refer to as the "abs").  The choice of any of these techniques or even all of them depends solely on the anatomical problems with the patient's abdominal wall. Not everyone will need all three techniques.  If you can see a separation between your rectus muscles with exercise or in certain positions, then this indicates  "diastasis recti", which is improved by tightening the two muscles together.  This reinforces the abdominal wall musculature and thereby adds support and creates a flatter tummy.

It is standard procedure to repair muscles with a tummy tuck

It is standard procedure to do muscle repair during a tummy tuck. It may not be done if the muscles have not separated, or in certain cases when it may be too risky to perform it together with a tummy tuck. This could be if the patient is still heavy and a panniculectomy is performed with umbilical repositioning.

Vijay K. Bindingnavele, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

Is muscle repair standard procedure when doing tummy tuck?

Hello, I preform a muscle repair most of the time during tummy tuck surgery but technically if there is no rectus diastasis, this is no t essential.

Of course it is a standard procedure to do muscle repair or "plicature" of the abdominal muscles.

Is the main purpose of a "Tummy Tuck" surgery to tighten the abdominal muscles, remove excess and sagging skin from the abdomen.

It can also be combine with Liposculpture and BBL.

Adolfo Sesto, MD

Muscle Repair in Tummy Tuck

It would be very common, and almost always, that rectus muscle plication is done in women during a tummy tuck. In a women who has had four children I would say there is a 100% chance that it both needs and will be done during your tummy tuck.

Rectus plication

Every tummy tuck is tailored to the individual patient.  The exam and individual anatomy is what determines what will give each individual patient the best result.  Most patients who have had multiple children benefit from rectus plication, and this is determined based on their pre-operative exam.  The plication helps to return the muscles back to their original anatomic position along with narrowing the waist line.

Best regards,

Spencer Eagan M.D. 

Spencer Leigh Eagan, MD
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair as part of a tummy tuck.

Thanks for your question. Tummy tuck surgery refers to the removal of stretched lower abdominal skin and the tightening of stretch abdominal muscle/fascia which has usually occurred after pregnancy or significant weight gain and loss. Rectus plication refers to the abdominal muscle/fascia tightening component of the procedure. It's not really the muscles that are stretched, but, rather, the fascia which is the lining stretch layer of the abdominal wall that covers the abdominal muscles. The plication is a standard component of almost all tummy tuck surgeries as not performing plication will almost always compromise the quality of the cosmetic result.

Mark A. Deuber, MD

Muscle repair vs tummy tuck. Some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us.

After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i recommend you to perform an abdominal wall CT scan, to clarify if you have any abdominal rectis muscle separation (diastasis) which it is producing weakness in the abdominal wall or you haven't.
Therefore, if you have this abdominal rectis muscle diastasis, you'll need a Mini-Tummy Tuck with muscle repair + abdomen, weist and back Liposculpture w/BBL.
Otherwise if is just fat tissue in the upper abdomen, you only need the upper/low abdomen, waist and back Liposculpture with brazilian butt lift. 

Finally I suggest you to send your photos to us to give more advices and recommendations. 

Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Is it standard to do mr in tummy tuck

Hello and thank you for your question. I cannot speak for other plastic surgeons, but in my hands yes and I believe in most plastic surgeon's also.
Peter Fisher M.D. 

Peter Fisher, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon

Muscle repair and tummy tuck

A muscle repair is done with a tummy tuck if it is indicated. A pre op exam is a must, but sometimes we don't know if it is needed until you are opened up in the OR. Every tummy tuck should be individualized for you by a board certified plastic surgeon.

Laura A. Sudarsky, MD
Fort Lauderdale Plastic Surgeon