Small flat lips? What do I do? (Photos)

My lips aren't the smallest but the sides are very "empty" to put it bluntly. Help?

Doctor Answers 17

Hyaluronic-Acid-Based Fillers Reshape Lips

Your best bet would to be use one of the hyaluronic-acid based fillers, such as Restylane, to give more volume to the sides of your upper lips. Lip augmentation takes a practiced hand and a strong sense of aesthetics. Please consult a board-certified dermatologist who is an expert at lip augmentation.

San Diego Dermatologist
4.9 out of 5 stars 46 reviews


You should start out with 1cc of juvederm filler or restylane filler and go from there. You do not want to overdo too much filler in the lips. It also depends on the look you are going for too. You can always add more filler to the lips if needed. Just remember if you are going to do your lips and you do not want to bruise you should not take any aspirins or anything that will thin the blood since brusing can occur. One syringe is typically $500.

Elliot M. Heller, MD
New York Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.6 out of 5 stars 93 reviews

Dermal fillers..

There are lots of options to help get a better shape for your lips. I really like the new Restylane Silk and it is a very soft alternative to older generation fillers. Find an experienced injector for best results! 

Best of luck.

Dr. ALDO :)

Board Certified Plastic Surgeon



Aldo Guerra, MD
Scottsdale Plastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 201 reviews

Volbella to change the shape of your lip

From the photos it appears that Volbella would be perfect to augment and enhance the shape of your lip.  Please consult an expert in facial injections for the best cosmetic results.   Best, Dr. Green

Michele S. Green, MD
New York Dermatologist
5.0 out of 5 stars 76 reviews


A filler like restylane or belotero would work very well for the enhancement you are looking for.

Kristin J. Tarbet MD, FACS
Bellevue Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.9 out of 5 stars 23 reviews

Lip Augmentation

Thank you for your question and photos.  You are a great candidate for filler in your lips.   There are many different types of fillers.  I suggest you schedule a consultation with an experienced injector in your area.  Best of luck to you!

Shahin Fazilat, MD, FACS
Mountain View Plastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 13 reviews

Perfecting the Pout--Lip Augmentation that Works, Fillers (Volbella, Restylane, Voluma), Implants, Fat

These fillers, (Volbella, Restylane, Juvederm) are good to create a symmetrical and full lip. Implants or fat are alternative options. See an expert for a formal evaluation. Best, Dr. Emer

Jason Emer, MD
Los Angeles Dermatologic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 190 reviews

Lip enhancement?

Hello, and thanks for your question and photos. You are an excellent candidate for lip enhancement with a hyaluronic acid filler such as Volbella or Restylane Silk. In order to determine the best treatment plan for you, I recommend an in-person consultation with an expert. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.    

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon
5.0 out of 5 stars 4 reviews

Lip Enhancement

Dear penguin24:

Looking at your photos, I would recommend injecting small amounts of Volbella to enhance your lips.  All the best.

Praven Chetty, MD
Kelowna Physician
5.0 out of 5 stars 7 reviews

Improving deflated lips

These lips can easily be improved using HA fillers. I wouldn't put a tremendous amount in your lips. I use Restylane Silk in most of my patients and it gives a very natural look. Don't go too big!

Steven F. Weiner, MD
Panama City Facial Plastic Surgeon
4.7 out of 5 stars 41 reviews

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.