How small can I go for a breast reduction? (Photos)

I am 24 years old, 5.5 and weight 160 lbs. My cup size is a 38H or bigger by now. I was contemplating getting my breast reduced to a B or a small C and would like to know if that's possible. I can't exercise as much as I would like to, due to the amount of shoulder pain and discomfort I experience. I was thinking about doing it next year in the summer when I'm out of work. My breast make me look bigger than I actually am. Included is my actual and desired size.

How small can I go for a breast reduction?

Hi. It's impossible to promise post-op cup sizes. Realize that the wish photo is not consistent with actual results you may achieve following your surgery. My breast reduction patients are some of the happiest I have in my practice. Your daily life will change. Always seek out the opinion of a surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery with years of experience in cosmetic breast surgery. Furthermore request to see before and after photos of previous patients by that doctor....not a clinic or surgery center. Do your homework......research and verify the doctor's credentials. Have they had problems with the Board of Medicine, disciplinary or otherwise. Any law suits?

How about the center, clinic or facility? Are they accredited by a national organization or do they just have State approval. Understand that at the current time, there are three nationally recognized organizations responsible for the highest levels of patient safety, AAAASF, AAACH and JCHO. You owe it to yourself to position yourself for the best possible results but under the most stringent safety regulations, If you have kids, even more so.

How about anesthesia? Will you have a medical doctor certified by the American Board of Anesthesiology or a certified nurse anesthetist (CRNA)? Understand that there is no substitute for research. Cosmetic surgery, no matter how simple it may be to the patients, are invasive procedures and as such carry certain risks and complications.

In our office, as in others, we use TouchMD which is a web based program in which patients have the ability to load their picture unto the program. The surgen can actually draw on the picture to show a potential patient where the incisions would be located and how the procedure is to be realized. It's all done to comply with HIPPA which is the federal law that protects the patient's medical information. Look them up. Good luck

Dr. PG

Breast reduction, some advices:

Thank you very much for sharing your concerns with us. After having analyzed all the information provided to us, i can realize that you have very large breasts for your height and weight, and can be responsible for head, back, neck and shoulder pain. In the future may cause  permanent osteo-articular damage in the back and shoulders and skin problems (mainly under the breasts). For for this reasons, certainly you need a breast reduction surgery.Kind regardsDr. Emmanuel Mallol.-

Emmanuel Mallol Cotes, MD

Breast Reduction

Due to the tissue needed to keep your nipple/areola complex's (NAC) blood supply, there is a limit to how small you can go.  You would more than likely have a D cup size after a reduction.  You may go smaller but this may compromise your NAC blood supply and need to have free NAC graft.  Best wishes, Dr. T. 

You appear too be a candidate for breast reduction/lift. Be sure to seek an experienced Board Certified PS for in person exam to know all your options. Keep in mind that the more breast tissue is removed the greater your risk of compromising a blood flow to the areola,and other remaining tissue.

From the very limited self postings If you went to a B cup the abdomen would appear very full. You either must lose weight to attain the smaller breast or accept a full C cup/small D cup would appear best on you. 

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with breast reduction surgery; it is one of the most patient pleasing operations we perform.
Yes, it is possible to reduce the breasts size very significantly. The concern with the amount of tissue removed is related to blood flow to the remaining tissue; if too much tissue is removed in one operation the blood flow to the remaining tissue (including nipple/areola) may be compromised. Part of the tissue that is left in place is called the “pedicle"; this segment of tissue is responsible for delivering the blood supply to the nipple/areola tissue. If the pedicle is made too small (in the effort to reduce the breasts as much as possible) then patient will likely have problems with tissue survival. 
My best suggestion: seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. This careful selection of plastic surgeon will be the most important decision you make. Before undergoing the breast reduction procedure it will be very important to communicate your size goals with your surgeon. Most patients wish to achieve a enough of a reduction to help with their symptoms while remaining proportionate with the remainder of their torso. I suggest that you do not communicate your goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size. For example, a “B or small C cup” may mean different things to different people and therefore may be a source of miscommunication. In my practice, I ask patients to communicate their goals with the help of goal photographs. I hope this, and the attached link/video, helps. Best wishes.

Breast Lift /Breast Reduction/ Breast Augmentation/ Breast Implants/ Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants

Thank you for your question. I have done many breast reduction surgeries and specialize in restorative breast surgery.  Based on your description, you may be a good candidate for breast reduction surgery at some point. Breast reduction surgery is one of the most patient pleasing operations I perform. By removing “excess” breast tissue, adipose tissue, and breast skin this operation reduces and lifts the breasts to a higher position on the chest wall.  So the breasts are automatically lifted when a breast reduction is performed.  By doing so, patients often find improvement in neck, back, and shoulder discomfort and find it easier to perform their activities of daily living and exercise.   I find it Best for patients to communicate their goals in terms of achieving a specific cup size by pictures.  Many patients wish to remove enough breast tissue to improve/alleviate symptoms while maintaining upper/lower body proportionality.  Pictures are very helpful to achieve this goal. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Take care, Dr Schwartz  Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon