Is it ok to sleep on my stomach? I got my breast augmentation done a month and one week ago

Sleeping on my stomack

Hello dear, thanks for your post. Once you have healed and your capsules are stable, usually around 4 to 6 weeks after surgery, you can start experimenting with different positions for sleep as you feel comfortable. Prior to that, it is best if you refrain from sleeping on your stomach and continue to sleep on your back or your sides. I recommend to ask this to your PS so he can tell you what is the best for you. Good luck :)

The following is what I recommend for my patients.Continue to sleep on your back for another 12 weeks. If you sleep on your side after 12 weeks, please wear a bra at night. This will support your breasts and maintain your implants centered on your nipples. Do not sleep on your stomach, this will cause your breast implants to go into your armpits. Every surgeon may be a little different but, hope this helps.

Sleep positions after breast augmentation

I advise my patients that they don’t have to sleep on their back or sit up all night after breast augmentation surgery. They can sleep any way they want from the night of surgery on, including on their stomach, if they are comfortable enough. They won’t pop or displace their implants by sleeping on them; implants are extremely durable. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Can I sleep on stomach 5 weeks after breast augmentation?

There is no absolute right or wrong answer to your question. Each surgeon has his/her own unique post-operative management guidelines. I recommend you discuss this with your doctor and/or the nurse within the office. 

Sleeping position

You are only 5 weeks out, it is still early for you to slee on your stomach. It depends on your surgeon, but typically you should wait 6-8 weeks before sleeping on your stomach.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Sleeping position after augmentation

Each surgeon will have their own preference for sleeping positions following surgery.  I allow my patients to resume all activities including regular sleeping patterns, after 6 weeks.  Talk with your plastic surgeon and follow their guidelines though, this will help with a smooth recovery.  Hope that helps!

Daniel Kolder, MD
Camarillo Plastic Surgeon

Front Sleeping

Each Plastic Surgeon will have different preferred protocols for post op activity- including sleeping position. I recommend that my patients avoid putting direct pressure on their implants for at least 6 weeks post op. Contact your Plastic Surgeon to ask what they advise for you.

All the best

For my patients NO!!!

I encourage my patients to sleep on their back for one year and for life for more reasons than I can write.  They will thank me in the future.
Best Wishes,
Nana Mizuguchi, MD

Nana N. Mizuguchi, MD, FACS

Activity after BA

Thanks for your question. Yes, at this point, you should be able to sleep in any position that is comfortable. In fact, at 5 weeks, I let most patients return to just about any activity that they choose, provided they have no pain. I'd double check w/ your surgeon though. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

ALL your 10 postings have something to do with postoperative issues! Best to see your chosen surgeon in person with a list of ALL your postop concerns, so you follow his/her recommendations ONLY!